exhaust, whats the noise like

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
hi all, in the new year im looking at getting a new exhaust
a lot of people say miltec

the thing that i am worried about is that i do quiet a lot of driving and dont want it so that when driving around steadily i cant hear myself think... but on the other hand would like something that when i put my foot down it gives a nice noticeable noise... what would people advise and are the systems acctully much louder insider the car

also any respected exhaust centres that could make me and exhaust to my spec in the lincolnshire area

sorry so many questions that probably dont make any sense lol but im not to clued up on derv exhausts

thanks

strugers1

i have a 2.5 inch turbo back zorzt mae by a local company to me
185 pound in total and its loud but not when cruising

Mar 8, 2007
^ Prospeed did a cat back and decat on my Fabia VRS for £300 all in.

decat section, 2.5" back from there and a sports backbox, with 6x4 tip

I absolutley love the noise it makes

Bloody loud when booting it, and dead quiet when cruising.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
just got a quote from where i got my mufflerectomy done.

Full boxless turbo back £400-450 aha! I dont think so some how?

They said downpipe back was 250 and turbo to downpipe (decat) was 160-180.

I could get a full catback with boxes for 250.

Think i will shop around.

Indeed Joels exhaust does sound good. :d

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
down here.....

????? Rainham, Kent and Merthyr ?????

Anyway. I'd recommend a Milltek exhaust - very well made. The Leon has the resonated one that is quieter than the unresonated Milltek pipework. Before I took the Cat off there was hardly anyhting in it between oe and the Milltek (really marginal). Since the cat was removed it is a bit noisier but not a lot in it in the real world.

Last edited:

brad1

ive just had my miltek cat back non resonated removed this morning and had 2.5" from the miltek decat downpipe back with no back box, just a straight pipe off the turbo and oh my god, it sounds nice when putting your foot down, and also it whooossshes so loud now. i love it :D

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
ive just had my miltek cat back non resonated removed this morning and had 2.5" from the miltek decat downpipe back with no back box, just a straight pipe off the turbo and oh my god, it sounds nice when putting your foot down, and also it whooossshes so loud now. i love it :D

recon you can upload a sound vid???

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
quite a lot of replies, thatnks for all the imput

????? Rainham, Kent and Merthyr ?????

Anyway. I'd recommend a Milltek exhaust - very well made. The Leon has the resonated one that is quieter than the unresonated Milltek pipework. Before I took the Cat off there was hardly anyhting in it between oe and the Milltek (really marginal). Since the cat was removed it is a bit noisier but not a lot in it in the real world.

so would a resonated miltec with a decat be much more louder when giving it some stink and fairly normal when cruising, also what sort of price would this sort of setup be... i think realistically my budget would be £300 tops,,, cant realy warrent spending much more than that.

brad1

quite a lot of replies, thatnks for all the imput

so would a resonated miltec with a decat be much more louder when giving it some stink and fairly normal when cruising, also what sort of price would this sort of setup be... i think realistically my budget would be £300 tops,,, cant realy warrent spending much more than that.

this is the combo I had before and sounded like a petrol when putting your foot down, but suttle when cruising

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
ahh well i think thats sold it for me,,, what sort of price should i expect to pay for thi sort of setup... also could i ask what u upgraded to//and why??

cheers

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I just put a non-res cat back Milltek on mine last week at £318 delivered (from Awesome-Gti) + £35 to have it fitted. Has a bit more of a growl at higher revs but not intrusive and an excellent quality item. I would have fitted it myself but the original was a one piece affair and it needed cutting off really.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Personally i'd just get a mufflerectomy. For what your wanting its ideal. nice and cheap, £40 for hidden £80 with a tip, not intrusive when cruising, but roars when you put your foot down.

brad1

Pipecraft basildon mate they will do you a exhaust for 160 roughly that is straight through mate, do it you won't regret it ;)

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
cheers tom, after the meet i was going to ask you what exhaust you had as i thought it was real nice sounding,,, for £40 though were does that, and what is a mufflerectomy, ie what does it get rid of cheers, also have to got a contact number of who did yours,,, id be tempted to get it done this week

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i believe it takes all the **** out the back box , no baffling etc

had another quote from custome exhausts the old Z-EX cardiff (old longlife workshop)
said 495 turbo back with origibal looking tail pipes fitted , keep shopping round me thinks

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
on an FR TDI IBIZA there are no boxes apart from cat & backbox... mufflerectomy removes the backbox and replces it with stainless pipe with or without a tip on the end.

mufflerectomy is the removal of the backbox & centre silencer if you have a sport or other tdi which has one.

(under the asumption the sport has a middle box).

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
As already said its basically just chopping the back box out and welding in a bit of straight pipe.

I had mine done at custom pipes in doncaster. 01302 325355.

When you ring tell them you want the back box chopping out and a bit of straight pipe welding in. They will tell you it will be ridiculously loud and try talk you into a cat back system unless you mention its a TDI.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise