Just to confirm - K03 to K04 conversion

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
Hi...

I have been searching around, and I would just like to confirm that what I plan to do is correct to convert my Leon 1.8T (180) turbo from the current K03 to a K04:

• Go to breakers and find a TT Quattro or S3. Buy the Turbo and Manifold.
  • Buy the TT 225 downpipe from 42 Draft Designs. Link
  • Make custom catback exhaust to fit
  • Get a remap to support K04 plus any other stuff like 4 bar FPR
  • Enjoy

Is there anything I'm missing?

Do I need anything other than the Turbo unit and manifold from the donor car? do I need oil/water lines? any hoses?

Do I need the donor car's MAF? If so, what intake pipe can I use to fit the AUQ ancillaries?

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
It's not as easy as that. You've missed a few things...

S3/LCR 386cc injectors
S3/LCR MAF
K04 turbo intake pipe
K04 oil/coolant lines

Then because you've changed your MAF/TIP, you'll also have to find a way of mating your airbox to it, otherwise you'll need a K04 based airbox/filter.

Im not sure about the exit pipe from the turbo, i've heard you may also need to change that.

But apart from that, yes that's all you need:)

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi...

I have been searching around, and I would just like to confirm that what I plan to do is correct to convert my Leon 1.8T (180) turbo from the current K03 to a K04:

• Go to breakers and find a TT Quattro or S3. Buy the Turbo and Manifold.
  • Buy the TT 225 downpipe from 42 Draft Designs. Link
  • Make custom catback exhaust to fit
  • Get a remap to support K04 plus any other stuff like 4 bar FPR
  • Enjoy

Is there anything I'm missing?

Do I need anything other than the Turbo unit and manifold from the donor car? do I need oil/water lines? any hoses?

Do I need the donor car's MAF? If so, what intake pipe can I use to fit the AUQ ancillaries?

i'm not being funny but why not do what I did. Sell the cupra and buy an LCR. I was thinking of doing what you are about to do but their is alot of different things you get in the R that th LC dont have, brakes for example..:redface:

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
Totally agree with Jay, brakes are a must mate, also think about intercooler, if you just have single side mount then I doubt that's adequate enough for when the summer time comes.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
Sorry I didn't explain.

I live in Saudi Arabia there are no LCR's here and importing is a headache. If I could import a car it would be a Skyline GTR, not an LCR!

Anyway about the brakes/intercooler/suspension - my K04 idea is instead of other turbo kits - EIP, IHI or whatever. Of course I will install a FMIC, uprated brakes etc. but I was wondering about the K04 that's all.

I know there is a K04 001 and a K04 023 or something like that. As I understand the 001 model uses the same housing as the K03 and is compatible with the DP/intake and others but is not as good as the 023 model?

Also, scotty_b, what do you have for sale? PM me.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
plus if I take the S3/TT225 intake pipe, will it fit the hoses on my car? when I bought the forge TIP there are different types for 180 1.8T's. I suppose i'll have to note everything that plugs into my TIP and compare with the donor car.

Plus I don't want to fabricate anything. If I can't get all the parts from the donor car/VAG dealer then im not interested. I thought it would be easy that's all. on h17och's post I saw a lot of custom work but then he has an Ibiza.

Or I can just buy this for $3000: (supposed to be good for over 300 whp!)

image_02_300.jpg

image_03_300.jpg

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Problem with a K04-20/23 on a k03 car is that the turbine outlet and therefore dp connection is in a different place (so you'd need a new dp), and would get in the way of the k03 charge piping, or be close enough to case heat issues.

You can't use the k04 charge piping (I don't think) without changing the inlet manifold over to the k04 car's one, because there wouldn't be room to get down to the/an intercooler then back up to the throttle body.

This was discussed not so long back on a thread with pics.

Then there's mapping; whoose map would you use - you could probably go for a boost controller, but what about fuelling?

Eliminator GTRS seems like a better bet, even with the fitting issues on 6 speed cars (although it has been done) and should make more power. If you could get a spare ECU to Revo they have stg3 code for the eliminators.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
You can't use the k04 charge piping (I don't think) without changing the inlet manifold over to the k04 car's one, because there wouldn't be room to get down to the/an intercooler then back up to the throttle body.

This was discussed not so long back on a thread with pics.

Then there's mapping; whoose map would you use - you could probably go for a boost controller, but what about fuelling?

Eliminator GTRS seems like a better bet, even with the fitting issues on 6 speed cars (although it has been done) and should make more power. If you could get a spare ECU to Revo they have stg3 code for the eliminators.

Well it looks like a bigger headache than I thought. I did not ignore mapping but that should be simple for any VAG mapping company as the K04 and 1.8T is well known. I suppose a Cupra R map should be fine as long as I use the injectors, MAF and FPR. Anyway.

I hope to be an EIP Dealer very soon so i'll wait for that I think 300+ whp sounds very good - will definitely need 245 or wider tyres and an LSD.

I'll also use it to "demo" our other products - DEI CryO2, NOS, Forge, Toyo, H&R, BBS Wheels, Sparco + more. Lovely :)

paul26982

what exactly would be the gains

especialy on a diesel cupra, just a thought not guna do it, dont jump on the band wagon

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
Just some advice, Putting a K04 to nearly 300hp, won't do a lot for your turbo in the long run, nevertheless, some of your components won't last very long either.
Up to you, but if your interested only in high HP figures, then go for the gt28, IHI etc, will cost you a lot less money in the long as you'll have to get everything changed at once.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members