Goodyear F1's for £94

Wackojacko

Aug 21, 2006
Maidenhead, Berks
Just incase anyone else was after cheap as chips F1's Bracknell Tyre & Battery Co.Ltd are nocking them out for £94 a corner.

Never seen any tyre place as busy as they were. Good promt service.

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I paid 79 a corner for the 225/45/17 version, this about average from what i can tell. And yes they are made in china, fully uk road legal ones lol
Great tyres btw!! - There is a promotion on them at the momoment due to their replacement coming in soon

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
Im guessing you are referring to the 18's.....my 17's were 79 each incl everything from Malvern Tyres in Droitwich

HarveyGTI

mytyres comes out as £97

that is a very good price indeed

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
there were some reported issues with GSD3s from china on here recently...
they seemed to indicates ones from germany were ok!?

however if they are ok then thats a fantastic price.

Indeed... it's worth checking they are made in Germany before you hand over your cash. If not, avoid them like the plague.

I'd guess this garage just has great terms with their supplier though and has managed to get a good price on them. It is a very good price if it is a fitted and balanced price.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Mytyres are a good guide for tyre prices, but not always the cheapest ;)

I has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx (225/40/ZR18 92Y XL) fitted last year for just under £100 per corner.

At the time, mytyres price was £113 per corner - and then you've got to pay for fitting on top.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
If you want to know where & when your tyres were made, look at the DOT number.

The first 2 letters is the manufacturer code... mine is DM which is SP REIFENWERKE GMBH, HANAU AM MAIN, GERMANY

The last four numbers is the manufacture date, week number & year... mine is 1606 which is week 16, 2006 which is April / May last year.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Luckily, some kind fellow had gone and printed 'Made in Germany' on the side of the GSD3's on my Mrs' Puma. That made life easy :)

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
lol :p Mine say made in Germany too ;)

Just thought not all tyres would have the place of manufacture written on them, so one way of finding out is by reading the DOT number :)

The first two characters following "DOT" is the tyre's manufacturer and plant code.

The third and fourth characters denote the tyre size.

The fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth (optional) characters identify the brand and other significant characteristics of the tyre.

The ninth and tenth numbers denote the week the tyre was produced.

The eleventh & twelfth numbers signifies the year in which the tyre was manufactured.

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Have been down and had a set of these fitted this afternoon... £188 for a pair - they are made in China but are E marked!

So I have been doing a little research and have found a very interesting thread on Piston Heads about the GS-D3's

Here are a couple of quotes from someone from Goodyear explaining the situation regarding the dodgy ones that have been coming into the country...

redlake27 said:
Hi - Its James from Goodyear here.

Just a couple of points.

We make tyres to the same spec in our global factories, so it is not the case that only German made tyres are suitable for Europe, for example.

However, there are some non - E marked tyres out in the marketplace due to unofficial dealers buying tyres (not just Goodyear) from markets that are 'exchange rate favourable' and bringing them here, irrespective of whether they are suitable or not.

In the case of non E marked tyres, drivers should report this to trading standards. These tyres are not being imported by Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK or any of our sister companies in Europe.

Also, in some cases manufacturer's tyres may be E marked meaning they are legal and safe in Europe, but they may not be the 'optimum' tyre for our climate.

Whenever we (Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK Limited) know of E marked tyres being imported that are not designed for northern european climates we are using trademark protection legislation to take the unofficial importers to court. (See below for a recent example regarding Dunlop)

Our advice is to purchase from Goodyear Dunlop Approved dealers.

PRESS RELEASE
Goodyear Dunlop success in protecting UK motorists with legal action against unapproved tyres

Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK Limited has succeeded in the first phase of a campaign to protect UK customers from unknowingly buying tyres that were not designed for road conditions in this market. As a result of this campaign, one tyre dealer has had to send 600 Dunlop tyres for recycling, to prevent these tyres from being used on UK roads.

The Goodyear Dunlop campaign targets Asian and African manufactured tyres bearing the famous Dunlop and SP trademarks, but designed for their local markets, and not imported or recommended by the UK company.

The 600 Dunlop SP490 tyres had been imported by a tyre dealer for sale in the UK, despite not being on the approved list of Dunlop tyres designed for the UK market. In an out-of-court settlement, the dealer has agreed to send these tyres to an approved collection agency, at the dealer’s cost, to be recycled according to the guidelines set by the Responsible Recycling Scheme.

Paul Wilde, Director, Consumer Tyres, UK explained: “These tyres did not carry the standard Goodyear Dunlop UK warranties on quality and performance. Therefore we took this action to remove unapproved and trademark infringing tyres from the UK market and protect innocent UK motorists who trust our brands to perform to the highest level. The tyres we list for sale in the UK are designed to have the optimum safety levels, particularly in terms of reduced braking distances, wet weather performance and are engineered for the types of road surfaces, road conditions and climatic extremes that prevail in this market.’’

We began proceedings against this dealer to protect the UK motoring public and to protect our loyal dealers. We would not hesitate to take the same action against any other dealer selling similar tyres that we do not list for UK sale. If we cannot guarantee their suitability for the local market, it is vital we take steps to ensure that the Goodyear and Dunlop product on sale from reputable UK dealers is the correct tyre for the market. ” added Mr Wilde.

“As a result of this action, customers should be reassured that the majority of professional tyre dealers in the UK are fitting the correct Goodyear and Dunlop tyres for our road conditions”

ENDS

Editor’s Notes

Buyer’s advice:

As a guide, Goodyear Dunlop has recently identified examples of infringing Dunlop SP490, Dunlop SP7000 and Dunlop FM901 tyres on sale in the UK. The range of Dunlop tyres that that the company retails as suitable for the UK market is listed at:
Dunlop Tyres UK

If tyres are not purchased from Authorised Dunlop tyre fitters or distributors then you should make enquiries to ensure that they are authorised for sale in the UK

Recycling:

The 600 tyres are to be recycled in accordance with the Tyre Recovery Association’s guidelines. Our commitment to recycling and reuse of tyres means that the recycling is being handled by one of the first collectors and processors in the UK to claim that no tyres are disposed of as waste to landfill.

Tyre recycling includes a shredding process, giving the flexibility to dispose of tyres into a number of recycling and disposal outlets. All of these tyres will disposed of on a responsible basis into a variety of recycling and energy recovery routes such as granulation and for use as a cement kiln fuel.

and he goes on in another post to say that the ones made in Germany and China are designed for the UK market...

redlake27 said:
Orange Curry

You do have correctly E marked tyres.

Thanks for your e-mail. The F1 GSD3 designed for the UK market are presently supplied either from Germany or China. Any tyre sold as replacement for use on UK roads should have an E mark.

Please find a link to a tyre sidewall from our sister company Dunlop's site which describes E markings very clearly.

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/sidewallMarkings/

The letter F on the link shows you a box or a circle and inside this is an E with a number eg E13 or E5. Outside that box or circle should be a further number. The number outside the box or circle is the E mark. If your tyre does not have the number after the E13 / E5 then the tyre is not E marked and illegal for fitting in the UK for use on public roads.

By clicking on letter F you will find out more information on E marks.

Orange Curry, you are OK, but for other customers, if the tyres sold to you do not have an e-mark we would advise you refer the matter to the dealer who sold you the tyres or trading standards.

This goes for any brand of tyre, not just Dunlop or Goodyear. I believe most tyre companies have similar issues with unofficial imports brought into Europe by companies other than the main corporation.

From what I understand it's the ones made in Thai Land that are problematic...

Another point I picked up on was that it has been suggested that both Black Circles and My Tyres may supply the grey import ones !

The PH thread can be found HERE and the quotes I have taken can be found on page 2
Hope that helps everyone

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise