GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Bluetooth

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Introduction

The Seat Bluetooth option is a fantastic part of the New Leon, when I ordered the car back in early 2006 I decided it was not a worthwhile option, plus did not really know anything about it.
What I did not realise is that when you order the Bluetooth option, you also get the larger Multi functional display on the instrument cluster, which gives you alot of features for the phone and other things.

Since then, the law has changed regarding phones, and I now have a phone with bluetooth, so really missed this option.

A friend www.briskoda.net wanted to fit the bluetooth option as well (as it is not a Uk spec option on Octavia Mk2's).
He is now able to source a OEM Bluetooth retro fit kit.

A retro fit of the bluetooth kit will mute the stereo and enable handsfree when you use your phone. although you will still have to manually dial, and accept the call. It works great though,very clear audio through the speakers and microphone.

Picture of the kit contents. (picture courtesey of VRStu

Parts contained in this kit:
5P0 862 335 C - Interface Unit
8P0 035 503 E - Bluetooth Antenna
3B0 035 711 B - Microphone
1Z0 971 813 62U - Carpet Floor Covering Black
N909 460 01 - Expanding Nut x2
N908 170 03 - Torx Screw x2
6U0 819 055 - Clip x2

This kit also contains a custom wiring loom.

This kit can be obtained from www.octavia-vrs.com. Please contact Stuart for information.

Otherwise, parts can be purchased seperatly from a VAG dealer, and wiring loom made up yourself.

Installation

Click images for larger version.

You will need VAG-COM (CAN-BUS type) to program this in.

A crimper and crimps are also required, see below for further information on this.

I would strongily recommend a set of trim remover tools. As the fitting involves lots of trim removing, its best to protect it, with these plastic dedicated tools. These can be had off ebay for under a tenner. search for 'Trim Tool' or 'Trim Remover'
This is the set I have, I highly recommend it:

trimtools.jpg

Head unit Removal

It is advisable to disconnect the negative terminal from the car battery first.

To start with we need to remove the factory headunit. This isnt too hard but persistence may be nessecery. I'd like to thanks Leon1p for his idea of using a cut up dvd case :)
First of all, you need to either use the correct seat tools to remove the radio, or make your own, as most people will!
Leon1p's idea works great. Basically you cut up the cover of a dvd case. Cut 4 strips at least 12cm long and the width of the slots on the headunit (see headunit).

the picture below shows the headunit halfway out and unlocked ready to slide out. Study it carefully!

Stick the 'removal keys' into the two slots in the radio, you need to push them quite hard and you may feel a click.
The other two keys need to be pushed in at the top of the headunit into slots which are actually hidden. Have a look at the picture which should give you a rough idea where they are. Use of the trim tool can bend the unit back and reveal the slots a bit better.
It took me a good 20minutes before I released all four locked tabs around the head unit. Use trim tools to wedge the unit out when its free. It should just pull out.
You then need to release the Antenna connector and quadlock connector.

The Head unit should now be free revealing a big hole in your centre console!

Trim Removal and bluetooth module install

First of all slide the drives seat seat as far back as possible. ( idid not try this.. but it may help raising the seat using the lever, so to have more access underneath.)

Take the piece of plastic off to the right side of the seat, this covers a cable trap.

You then need to lift up the plastic sil trim which runs along the side of the car. This is clipped on quite firmely. I actually broke a few clips when pulling it off.
This part does not need to be taken off completely. but enough so you can guide the cable loom under it towards the fuse box.

Now back to under the seat...
There are should be two sections of perforated carpet on the left side under the drivers seat. These should be cut off to reveal a screw hole under each one.

One of the perforated sections is detailed in this picture:

Take the Bluetooth module, and plug the BT antenna in in side of it.

Place the Module underneath the seat, then screw the unit to the two holes where the carpet has been removed. as per picture:

The loom now needs to be plugged in and threaded under the seat base towards to door sill.

I think this can be done several ways, its just finding a good route to take it to the sill.

The following and previous picture may give you an indication of how to route the cable to the door sill. I first threaded it ito the cable trap to the right of the seat, then under the carpet to the door sill trim. Its trial and error really. Small finger really help here! This bit its quite tricky.

When threaded through, the carpet cover can now be attached and clipped ontot he modiule bracket with the screws.

Route the cable under the sill trim, then behind the panel (with the bonnet catch on it) upto the fuse box.

next page...........

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
The A pillar has to be removed before proceceeding.
This is clipped on using several clips. You need to wedge this off using the trim tool.

Then the interior light has to be removed.
This takes some force to remove. You need to edge a couple of trim removes in it and just pull it off. It does take some force, but it will come off it you pull it hard enough. Unclip the interior light unit and place it elsewhere.

Just the microphone cable can now be threaded past the fust box, and up the A pillar. I taped the microphone cable to the cable loom already along the a pillar.
Then tuck the cable under the roof liner along to the interior light, and out of the hole where the interior light was situation.

Un clip the microphone part from the cable and place it inside the interior light as shown below. You need to break a part off inside the light unit where the microphone can be placed. clip the microphone on the drivers side of this unit.

The microphone part can now be connected to the main microphone cable, as well as the interior light cable, and the whoole unit clipped back in place.

The microphone installation is now complete.

The dash trim and instrument cluster now needs to be removed.

The aircon unit needs to be pulled out of the way to get to the dash panel screws. This is fixed with two screw just above there hte headunit sits, this is pretty obvioius to see. once these two screws are out, uwedge some trim removers into the top and/or side of the unit and pull it out. Once free, it will not be able to be pulled out too far as it is attached to several cable looms.

The picture below indicate the location of the three scews behind the headunit/air con to take the dash out.
dashscrews.jpg

You can then start to pull the dash out. The trim tools may be help at the top of the dash area.

This will then reveal the instrument cluster. To remove this, you will need to unscrew four screws located at the edges of the cluster. Two at the top, and two at the bottom.

The picture below indicated the screw locations, except the bottom left one is hidden! (the cluster is removed).

Once screws are remove, you just need to give the instrument cluster a tug to remove it from its plug.

You are then ready to thread the cable. round.

Then guide it pass and behind the the fuse panel.

Then up and across the instrument cluster, as shown in this picture.

You will then need to guide it to the hole at the back of the headunit space. Small hands are helpful here!

Your cable should now be threaded through!

and you can reinste the instrument cluster dash trim and aircon unit.

next page..............

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Wiring the bluetooth kit cables.

The four loose wires on the loom are:

CAN Hi - Pin 9 (Orange/Purple)
CAN Lo - Pin 10 (Orange/Brown)
Ground - Pin 12 (Brown)
12v Positive Supply - Pin 16 (Red/White)

These need to be attached to the exisiting wires in the car which are contained in the quadlock connector which plugs into the rear of the headunit.

There are two ways to perform this. Either you could cut the wires in your cars wiring loom, or attach connectors to the ends of the wires. The second option increses and price slightly and ads more time, but enables you to remove the kit without trace. Both processes involve inline crimping.

you will need Yellow and Red crimps and a Ratchet Crimping tool

A suitable crimping tool can be piurcased from ebay for under a tenner, and crimps can be bought in backs for a for pounds.

crimper.jpg

crimps.jpg

I will go through first the process which requires you to attach clips to the wires.

For this you need the following parts: (Prices quoted are per each)

1x 1mm CSA wire 000 979 134 (This will give you two terminals when you cut the wire) for the CAN Hi & CAN Lo male connections. (£0.97 + VAT)
1x 1mm CSA wire 000 979 133 (This will give you two terminals when you cut the wire) for the CAN Hi & CAN Lo female connections. (£0.97 + VAT)
1x 2.5mm CSA wire 000 979 226 (This will give you two terminals when you cut the wire) for the Live and Ground male connections. (£0.97 + VAT)
1x 2.5mm CSA wire 000 979 225 (This will give you two terminals when you cut the wire) for the Live and Ground female connections. (£0.97 + VAT)
4x 191 972 701 Housing (£2.78 + VAT) and 4x 191 972 711 Connector Housing (£1.91 + VAT)

These can be purchased from any VAG dealer.

Working with the Quadlock connector in the car, slide out the pink locking tab. Next remove the coloured wires listed above one at a time, making up the loom and inserting the terminal of the newly constructed loom back into the right position. To remove the wires use a folded paper clip or similar, pushed into the open end of the plug to release the barbs on terminal and then pull out the wire.

The male part of the black connectors can now be fitted and should like like this(Thanks to VRStu for this image)

The process for making each connection should be as follows:

Strip the ends of the Bluetooth Kit wiring loom. Cut one of each of the yellow connecting wire terminals off with about 2 inches of spare wire and strip the ends of those.
(Thanks to VRStu for this image)

Using an inline crimp join the three wires together so that you end up with a male and female yellow wire connected to each wire of the Bluetooth Kit wiring loom, you'll need large crimps for the power and ground cables and medium size crimps for the CAN cables. Attach the female connector housing to the newly constructed loom.

(Thanks to VRStu for this image)

No connector the green audio connector to the quadlock connector. Then refit all cables. I would leave the radio unfitted until you have tested the bluetooth function.

Now reconnect the negative terminal of the car battery.

VAG-COM Coding.

You need a CAN-BUS compatible cable to communicate with the Mk2 leon.

Please see my VAG-COM guide to the Leon M2 if you need help with the following coding.

CAN Gateway - Controller 19

This controller uses Long Coding, recoding should be carried out using the Long Coding Helper built into VAG-COM. Select Byte 3 and put a tick in Bit 7 to enable Controller 77 Telephone. Write the Long Code back to the car.

Telephone - Controller 77

The controller soft coding should be set to 0000522

The following channels should be adapted with the values listed -

channel 128 - 0
channel 129 - 6
channel 130 - 2
channel 131 - 130
channel 132 - 0
channel 133 - 1
channel 134 - 0
channel 135 - 1234
channel 136 - 9
channel 137 - 1
channel 139 - 0

Thanks also go to Andrey Economov of Russia for his help and especially for the following information -

If you have a car fitted with the Multi Function Steering Wheel it is possible to modify the coding so that you can use the Mute button on the steering wheel to activate the voice dialing function of the installed telephone system.

Using VAG-COM open Controller 16 - Steering and select Coding 07.

You should see a 7 digit softcode which will be in the format 00xxxxx

The 4th digit from the right corresponds to the steering wheel variant. If you have a 4 spoke MFSW without the Cruise Control buttons it should be a 2. Change this to a 3 and that should convert your Mute button to activate the Voice Dialing.

Setup

Follow the guidelines for your telephone to add a Bluetooth device, the pass code is 1234 - You may note that this can be changed by adapting channel 135.

When you turn on the ignition the Bluetooth System will locate your telephone, momentarily mute the radio and give an audible confirmation tone. Conversely when disconnecting you will also hear a confirmation tone.

Your phone will recognise the bluetooth connection as SEAT_UHV.

-------

I have purchased a new instrument cluster for my car which has the larger Multi functional display on it. when fitted this will enable me to use the phone with the indicator stalks and show me call information.

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Yeah, its something ive really wanted recently! So pleased about it. Defo a worthwhile addition.

The kit above cost me £165 all in from the guy above. I beleive it would cost alot more to buy the bits from a dealer.

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
An expensive solution I must add :(

Getting the dealer to programme in on Thursday.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Yeah I wanted to but, there are dozens of different types of instrument cluster for the new Leon so would of been difficault to get the right one.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I think its £250, but that includes the upgraded instrument cluster with larger MFD (display)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members