Whats up with the Ibiza handling?

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
Perhaps I'm slightly spoiled, coming from a Focus which is renowned for being one of (if not the) best handling hatch out there.

My Ibiza is so boatlike. All the reviews say the suspension is hard and tiresome, whilst I have to admit its slightly harder than some cars, its nothing like hard.

I'm thinking the issue is mainly around the damping rate of the shocks, as the springs do appear pretty firm. But is it possibe to actually get an Ibiza to handle like its on rails, or do I just leave it as is and put up with it?

Under braking the nose dives, indicating poor front shocks and try and take any bend/roundabout at anything like like a decent speed and I feel like I'm going to roll over.

I don't believe its a case of worn out shocks either, they all bump/rebound the same given the same loading. So are they just poorly valved from the factory or is the geometry/design poor?

My Focus is running 300mm front disks, adjustable Gaz shocks and Spax SSX springs, the car will stay perfectly level when braking hard and then chucking it into a corner, never even thinking about squealing a tyre.

Is this sort of ability available on an Ibiza? I know the brakes can be sorted, but the suspension?

Are there any camber kits available to correct the camber on lowered Ibizas?

Any views/thoughts appreciated, as its currently like driving an old Granada.

Thanks
Chris

ps. Its a TDI Sport 130.

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
Id say coilies, spacers, 312mm discs with good calipers, slip diff,arbs, strut brace and nowt will beat it mate!

Im heading for spax coilovers, front / rear arbs, strut brace, spacers, atb slip diff and splitter. it will stick like sh!t to a blanket!

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Even the Cupra suspension makes a big difference under braking and acceleration with the stiffer springs than the Sport. My rear ARB sorted out the handling/understeer quite well. Coilovers obviosuly will help. Front top strut brace makes a small difference.

But you won't be able to get away from the design of the chassis really. I drove a standard Focus as a hire car and was well impressed with the handling around Spanish twisties. But I hated everything else about the car lol

Poverty

I presume you guys are talking about the MK1 focus cause the mk2 isnt impressive at all. My mate who owns one reckons its crap actually. Rates the mk1 though.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Think it was a mk2 and is impressive compared to the Ibiza around twisties. I drove that and my parent's Ibiza round 6 miles of twisty Spanish roads where they live and the Focus is very flat compared to the Ibiza. Not driven a mk1 so cant compare.

Last edited:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Yep, I must say the Ibiza handling can be better. Went out for a little play to night in my mk4 cupra and nearly spun it on a roundabout :redface:, lucky I had the esp off so I managed to catch it.

Prob didnt help with it being -1.0 outside :whistle:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
why do you rule out worn out shocks?

From my experience on every SEAT model I've taken a shock off they've all shown serious wear from anything after 10k

Plus you have a distinctly 'badly' badged unsporty sport.

decent quality dampers, good springs (lowered) will put more -ve camber on, improve the ride quality & damping.

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
hahaha t'a30 int'it!

if she sat in the back it would be a weight imbalance issue big time :headhurt:

Certainly is matey! She wunt fit int back buddy, she'd have one arse cheek int boot, t'other ont road like!

Yep, I must say the Ibiza handling can be better. Went out for a little play to night in my mk4 cupra and nearly spun it on a roundabout :redface:, lucky I had the esp off so I managed to catch it.

Prob didnt help with it being -1.0 outside :whistle:

Hmmmm..............you aint driving mine then!

I think spending about 1600 on the car for the handling and u cant do much else mate! they handle a dream!!

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
I presume you guys are talking about the MK1 focus cause the mk2 isnt impressive at all. My mate who owns one reckons its crap actually. Rates the mk1 though.
Mine's a Mk1, Mk2 is quite a bit larger although I'm sure shares the same control blade rear suspension which is what makes it so good.

danmay

Fast cars, shooting stars
Mar 25, 2007
Stafford
www.myspace.com
coilovers rear spacers and a rear ARB should sort it out from what i've heard, if you can get some standard cupra suspension that may help though to be honest, loads of people on here have got coilies so there must be some knoocking about in garages and sheds somewhere :)

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Mine is great now, but like has been said above - you need better dampers and springs, then some ARB's as the rear axle is solid unlike the Focus...

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
focus mk1's are good handlers and ibiza standard models ARE SHOCKING! but ive uprated

fk coilovers, 20mm rear spacers, strut brace and rear arb and im telling you it will tick ALL your boxes!

Poverty

Mine's a Mk1, Mk2 is quite a bit larger although I'm sure shares the same control blade rear suspension which is what makes it so good.

Not sure on that because the mk2 focus uses a mazda chassis which is completely different from the mk1 apparently.

Another thing I reckon ibiza's struggle with is the stock tyres they come with. They do not compliment the ibiza too well as because of the ibiza's light weight it does not exert enough force on alot of the tires on sale to maximise the performance.

Tires that appear to be crap on the ibiza can be awesome on another car that weighs a extra 300-400 kg.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.