1.4 tsi sounds like a diesel wnen idling

dfort1uk2

LeonsForFife
Oct 9, 2008
I have just purchased a 1.4 tsi mk2 leon. I noticed it was very noisy on idle.
Dealer initially diagnosed "cam follower problem" and I left them with the car.

After help from Seat UK they said it was just a noisy fuel pump [which is driven from the camshaft on these engines]. They said they replaced the pump.

The diesel noise is still there and everyone thinks I have a diesel car.

Does anyone know if all these engines are this noisy. Dealer says they have reported this to Seat UK. I cannot belief the VW group would allow such a noisy engine to go into production. Anyone heard of a bad batch of fuel pumps maybe?

My MK1 1.6 petrol was very quiet on idle.

2ndleon

mine is the same from cold worse when it had just been serviced had to check the oil level to make sure the stealers hadnt ripped me off!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
when i was in for my service last week , i was talking to the tech guys about problems common problems with the Cupra and he said thats nothing , the 1.4's are giving nothing but trouble , bad injectors ect , so best to keep on to them mate.

Poverty

Can you get a video clip up of it as far as im aware all the TSI engine ranges sound like diesels due to the technology used to inject the fuel

dfort1uk2

LeonsForFife
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for all your replies.
If as you say this is a characteristic of the TSI engine technology then that will put my mind at rest.
I will monitor it over the next while and try and get a listen to a few other cars.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
My 1.4 TSI is very quiet on idle. Must be something wrong if yours is noisy. Done 20,000 miles and no problems so far.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
My cupra sounds like a diesel when i start her up (when i turn the key) and when im letting the clutch out to pull away with some revs it sounds like a diesel,

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
i wouldnt worry , my Cupra is the same and my old 1.8t cupra also sounded like a diesel lol , its in the design.

My old 1.8t Never sounded like a diesel. It always sounded whisper quiet when cold or hot. A little turbo whistle when you gave it some..

It did have a silly mouse squeek that I never got to the bottom of but hey the cars gone now :shrug:

colsh1

i have an 08 plate 1.4 tsi with 10k miles. i had the exact same problem and put it into the dealer under warranty. they replaced some sort of fuel pump that sits right at the top of the engine.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
just a bad design with the engine unfortuately mine sounds the same at 12k on the clock had my car for 1 year sometimes when it starts it idles at 1.5k rev then automatically lowers back to 1k...I didn't notice much difference when the oil was changed thats what I thought it was at first but yea should have a TSi meet and hear the difference.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
just a bad design with the engine unfortuately mine sounds the same at 12k on the clock had my car for 1 year sometimes when it starts it idles at 1.5k rev then automatically lowers back to 1k..

Mine idles nowhere near that high. Suprised so many people have problems mine is really quiet at idle.

Poverty

Mine idles nowhere near that high. Suprised so many people have problems mine is really quiet at idle.

stick it next to a NA of another make or older VAG engine and you will see the differnece. The tsi and tfsi's are not nice sounding engines lol.

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
I suggest Something wrong mines like a sewing machine,until you hit the gas,and then poetry!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise