AMD Technik

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Old 11-11-2009, 16:38   #1
rudgey
Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06

rudgey has 10 points
Adjusted steering wheel then airbag light came on!!!

Hi all,
Adjusted my steering wheel today and the airbag light has come on! Is it advisable to just delete the error with vag-com (and see if it comes back) or should i take it straight to the garage? Just looking for advice as obvisouly it's potentialy dangerous?

Cheers guys!
rudgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 23:26   #2
rudgey
Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06

rudgey has 10 points
Checked with vagcom and heres the code:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)

001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Deleted the DTC and it hasn't come back as yet, should i be worried?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31   #3
FAST AL

FAST AL has 10 points
I think if you just delete it then it only cancels out the warning light hence not curing the actual underlying cause.Is it still in warrany mate? If so get it checked out at the dealers just to be sure its safe.
Just my opinion.Could be totally off track though.
:New LEON FR TDI ZENITH GREY.Gardex protection.Seatcupra.net stickers.Auto emocion sticker.Genuine Seat FR badges on each wing.Rear parking sensors.High gloss black front grille with honeycomb insert.Not much really.Just a nice fast car.
FAST AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00   #4
rudgey
Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06

rudgey has 10 points
Out of warranty tbh AL! If it comes back i'll get a garage to look at it i think! The MIL'll come back on if fault is still there i believe!

Last edited by rudgey; 12-11-2009 at 12:06.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39   #5
FAST AL

FAST AL has 10 points
Ye but if it doesnt come back will you still have a nackered airbag ?
Risk it if u like but you only live once.I know I would get mine checked out but I'm still in warranty for another year.
Oh the joys of warranty's me thinks.
:New LEON FR TDI ZENITH GREY.Gardex protection.Seatcupra.net stickers.Auto emocion sticker.Genuine Seat FR badges on each wing.Rear parking sensors.High gloss black front grille with honeycomb insert.Not much really.Just a nice fast car.

Last edited by FAST AL; 12-11-2009 at 12:42.
Old 12-11-2009, 13:47   #6
rudgey
Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06

rudgey has 10 points
True AL true! I'm gonna get on the phone to midland VW now!

Just spoke to midland VW they've said not to worry unless it comes back (i.e. theres no serious fault if it's off) and occassionaly moving the steering wheel/seat too quickly can set off the MIL! Still a bit worried tho tbh!

Last edited by rudgey; 12-11-2009 at 13:51.
Old 12-11-2009, 15:15   #7
FAST AL

FAST AL has 10 points
Sounds as though its ok now then mate.
The fault should show up again if theres an actual problem.

Last edited by FAST AL; 12-11-2009 at 15:19.
Old 12-11-2009, 17:10   #8
nc30rider

nc30rider has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudgey View Post
True AL true! I'm gonna get on the phone to midland VW now!

Just spoke to midland VW they've said not to worry unless it comes back (i.e. theres no serious fault if it's off) and occassionaly moving the steering wheel/seat too quickly can set off the MIL! Still a bit worried tho tbh!
Should be OK, I see this kind of issue all the time. Especially Renault front seatbelt pretensioners. Sometimes if you move the seat back and forth it puts the airbag light on.
The movement of the connectors is enough to cause a variation in the resistance of the circuit, thus causing the ECU to throw up a fault. If it happens again, get someone to open and close the connections a few times, then clear the faults. Should be fine after that.

It is only a real issue if it happens when you turn the steering wheel. This is probably an airbag slip-ring/clock-spring problem. Unfortunately that is a replacement only!

When the light is on, the only dangerous thing that will happen is the airbags/pretentioners will NOT deploy in an accident. The system is deactivated once the light comes on.

Last edited by nc30rider; 12-11-2009 at 17:13.
nc30rider is offline   Reply With Quote