Leon Cupra Diffuser

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
A few months ago I came across this attachable diffuser for the Leon (FR and CUPRA).
spa0260or41lw2.jpg

diff1.jpg

I really liked the look and went about researching where to buy them from. Eventually I found a supplier (with some help from fellows on this forum) and through shipment and currency conversions would have cost +-R7k (500+ pounds) to get one. Little bit steep for a piece of plastic.

I then turned to the idea of making my own diffuser, knowing that I should be able to make one for much less than the one available overseas. It had to be as good quality if not better than the R7k diffuser. Before starting with any construction I did a lot of image searches on the net for cars (hatchbacks) with diffusers. I came up with cars like the facelift Focus STs, the concept Alfa Mito GTA, and Clio RS. I didn’t want a Jap style massive diffuser. I wanted the diffuser to look as OEM as possible.

The sequence of images is how I went about making the diffuser. . .

I bought a new grey plastic “diffuser/bumper” from a dealer for R500, I didn’t want to work on the original on the car.
DSC00022.jpg

After a few attempts I got the fin to sit neatly to the curve of the plastic, using a jig-saw to profile and sand paper to make final adjustments. The fins are made from superwood (the only material that I could think of at the time), after sending it out for spraying it was suggested that thick plastic sheet would have been better to use. The profiled diffuser fin:
DSC00023.jpg

The leading edge blending with the bottom flat and the trailing edge blending to the vertical part of the plastic diffuser.
DSC00026.jpg

The fins were attached through the back of the plastic bumper with self taping screws. 4 were needed for each fin to stop the ends from wanting to pull away from the plastic (after painting).
DSC00027.jpg

After looking at the diffusers on the above mentioned cars I wanted to fillet the edges of the fins to make them blend in with the plastic bumper. The fillets were made with body filler and sanded to smooth and blend them to the bumper.
DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
The diffuser was then sent to a panel beater for painting. A proper plastic primer is needed for the diffuser as regular primer just doesn’t stick to the plastic. I instructed the panel beater to match the grey of the original plastic bumper as best they could. Having no matt spray paint they went ahead and sprayed the diffuser gloss black (which I only found out when it was delivered). I was skeptical about having the diffuser gloss black however after seeing the results I didn’t want to change it, it looks awesome.

The entire back bumper was removed to gain access to the many clips holding the plastic part of the bumper. This turned out to be a bit of a mission; there are about 18 screws that need to be removed as well as 8 clips to unhook.
DSC00144.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

The back bumper with the plastic section removed,
DSC00147.jpg

The original and new gloss black diffuser next to each other:
DSC00148.jpg

The new diffuser clipped back into the bumper:
DSC00151.jpg

The finished product:
DSC00152.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

Last edited:

Marino

Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham
That actually looks quite good, I was a little skeptical when I first started reading and the gloss really sets it off. Would like to see it in the flesh, I imagine it looks better.

steveyg

CANDY WHITE FR!!
Feb 19, 2008
excellent piece of work there!!! got me thinking now.....hmmmm. liking the gloss black bit, been toying with this idea

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
Awesome work I must say and awesome paint job too. Can I ask what glue did you use to stick the fins to the main body?

Edit: I read that you screwed them on - no glue at all?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
that is... stunning! I really, really like that! you have definitely got me thinking too, how many man hours are we talking to produce something like that? Im fitting a cup spoiler in gloss black and having the S badges and possibly L E O N badge done in gloss black also so this could be added to the list...

I cant stop looking at it, just suits it sooo well! Great job!

KzJF

Full Member on Wednesdays
Aug 7, 2009
I'll go ahead and open my hats closet, and proceed to lower down each and every one of them for you.
Excellent job, sir ;)
Now how about mass production ?!

deann

Dec 9, 2009
Wolves
The diffuser was then sent to a panel beater for painting. A proper plastic primer is needed for the diffuser as regular primer just doesn’t stick to the plastic. I instructed the panel beater to match the grey of the original plastic bumper as best they could. Having no matt spray paint they went ahead and sprayed the diffuser gloss black (which I only found out when it was delivered). I was skeptical about having the diffuser gloss black however after seeing the results I didn’t want to change it, it looks awesome.

DSC00163.jpg

I like it mate you should making them to order....:)

I was going to get a price for having mine vinyl wrapped but i really like the vents.

Well done mate nice job.

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks very much everyone, just makes the work worth it to hear other enthusiasts like it as much as I do.

Ares thats correct no glue holding the fins, the filler pretty much acts like a glue to hold the fins but the screws hold them securely on their own. I wiggled them when they had just been screwed in to make sure they sit tight. I did cover the screw heads with silicone just to make them water proof.

Thanks RobH much oblidged!

WhiteLady it took me two weekends to do, 10 - 15 hours not including the time it spent being sprayed. Then took about 1.5 hours to fit.

KzJF lol I have been asked already on my local forum to start getting them made. It look some time and effort to get this one done. If it was my day job I wouldnt mind but this hobby takes up week nights and weekends to do. Sorry i cant mass produce if I could I would :) Thats pretty much why I documented the process to give some insight into what it takes, so those who want it can DIY or get a local body shop/panel beater to make.

SeanCorky definitely agree for the black cars one would have to go matt black or even the matt grey original colour. Would be interesting to see how it looks matt.

Millbo I saw your thread about the grey diffuser section, at the time i thought mine was going to come back matt grey again but after it came back gloss black and seeing how it looks i was really chuffed.

deann like I say i wish i could make them to order but i dont have the time really. I must say your car looks superb. So glad you made the bottom lip on the front bumper black its perfect. The way the car should have been.

I do tend to agree the car should/could have come from the factory with the diffuser, especially the facelifted versions. Hope this gives some inspiration and insight so that those who want them can get it done.

Cheers

:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members