'Racing Brakes' not for racing.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Spoke to AP Racing today, after my brake issues on Saturday, and they confirmed the factory AP front pads are strictly road use only, and too soft a compound for track use. I have had to refit the plain factory discs and a new set of AP pads today as my groovy Black Diamond discs will need refacing, and I need to get some Ferodo pads for the next trackday. Will also sort some serious cooling ducts which I should have done sooner.:(

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
most production cars don't have brakes that can hold it on the heavely braking of the track. last year i was on spa francorchamps with my bmw and a friend of my boss( if you know racing you probebly know him junior strouss drives indy lights in america now) was there with his latest model bmw m3 wich has pretty big and heavy brakes, but after a long stint with the m3 he came drove it in the pitbox and saw that the discs where letterly glowing hot so we jacked the car up and keep it spinning so the pads won't get stuck and then whe whant to take the brakes apart to give it a check and as soon as we loosend the caliper it just fel on the ground with the brakeline completly melted and broken.

So my point ff on a car of that price the brakes aren't up to the job of a trackday. you always have to have atleast pads but then also after a trackday the disc is rubbish

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
yes that's the best to do or you have to ease on the brakes on the track but the point of a trackday is to trash your car on the edge. its also that racing pads opperate at a much higher tempature so when there cold they don't really slow you down thats why they don't fit them in the factory.

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
yeah pretty good point about that LOL misleading info should change the name in very good street brakes LOL

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
For day to day use they are great! Should have been called sport brakes I think hehehehehehhe. Any car that is going to be put on a track though needs to be comprehensively modified too as sadly, manufactures supply parts that are designed for everyday use within legal limits for driving so understandably I can understand the point about race brakes not working for everyday use. I know our race cars had to basically be re-built from the ground up.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
soo basically £1000 wasn't well spent then?

Ive got the same brakes on my heavier Cupra TDI.. have done a track day, although it was fairly cold day, but i did 9 full pelt laps of Bedford autodrome without fade, compared with only 4 on my mates type r.

Pretty sure the pads and discs are stock. But as already said, they are only really for fast road use. I cant imagine anyone driving hard enough to fade these brakes on a normal road.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
It could well be the XDS's extra use of the brakes may have made them fade faster than the cupra tdi. Its putting out more BHP with less weight.. not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
I used to have a lupo gti before moving to the cupra and i was forced to upgrade the brakes to a g60 set up after a few track days with group n discs to stop the damn things warping, overheating of the caliper/fluid or pads etc wasnt a problem it was just the discs couldnt hack it. (and that was with vw pads) Ive not tried yet but the cupra's brakes should be easily up to the job of a track day...the thing to remember is to do a slow lap to allow your brakes to cool down by deliberatley trying to avoid touching them.

coming in and parking up after at least 5 fast laps is a no no!!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
my brakes got hot enough to melt the centre caps which cost £20 to replace bringing the total damage to £320 with discs and pads, but it was fun passing all those Caterhams!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.