DSG Rattling and clunking away!!

alexfr10

Jan 8, 2010
Llandudno, North Wales
I have recently noticed a combination of rattles and clunks during gear changes and when moving slowly in 2nd and 3rd gears only (after finally getting rid of the creaking from the dodgy gearbox mount). I contacted my service manager and he told me there is a software update for the dsg which should resolve it.

I took my car in today and the the technician took it out for a spin, heard the rattling and clunking and decided that i needed the software update (if only it was that simple)!

After waiting 1hr+ the technician came back to me and said that the software is now up to date but the rattle is still there even when the car is stationary and with the ignition off!!!!! :confused: All he had to do to make the noise was to shake the car with the bonnet up. he is certain it is coming from the box and it is now looking like i will be having a whole new box fitted. :wtf:

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
Thats not good at all. Still if it sorts it i guess its a good thing

I get a kinda clunking noise when i press the brake somtimes it weird :confused: and somtimes in 2nd n 3rd... might have too vist my dealers

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
OMG I do hope this is an isolated case. I know there is another guy on here in Turkey I believe that has the same problem. All we need now is to find out that these boxes are problematic. I still think they should have put the 6 speed wet box in these cars.

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Mine started to sound like this yesterday, after a total of 3000km. It´s a metallic scrambling noise "between" gears on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When i move the lever to change between D, S, R etc. it clicks/bangs underneath the car also.. I´ve even noticed that the car is more "jumpy" and doesn´t shift gears as smooth as before. I´ll be going to my Stealer with guns blazing in monday morning to get it sorted, this kind of stuff shouldn´t happen in a brand new car! This problem have made me not want to keep the car when the warranty runs out:cry:

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
is it not the dmf which can go, theres a thread on the altea page that i started i think? i understand it expodes and damages everything in its path, costs over a grand to fix. dont want to worry people, but mines doing the same and im tempted to run it till it dies, if it ever does. the mechanic who told me this said he 'made' a golf gti expode by driving it hard....

chrishumes

Feb 13, 2010
if its under warranty i cannot see how a dealer can get out of it. unless you have a remap etc which could have put strain on it??

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
No no, it´s absolutely standard.. I have driven it nice and gently up to about 2000km so i´ve done the brake in-thing as it says in the manual too. When i get to the dealer they will probably say: It´s fin, don´t worry! And when i go back there when the car has broke down they will say: You should have fixed it earlier.. Sorry for my negativity, but at least here in Sweden the VW-garages/dealers have the worst reputation of all carbrands workshops..

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Our DSG doesn't have a mechatronic unit and the flywheel is very different because to the dry clutch arragement.

alexfr10

Jan 8, 2010
Llandudno, North Wales
Mine started to sound like this yesterday, after a total of 3000km. It´s a metallic scrambling noise "between" gears on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When i move the lever to change between D, S, R etc. it clicks/bangs underneath the car also.. I´ve even noticed that the car is more "jumpy" and doesn´t shift gears as smooth as before. I´ll be going to my Stealer with guns blazing in monday morning to get it sorted, this kind of stuff shouldn´t happen in a brand new car! This problem have made me not want to keep the car when the warranty runs out:cry:

thats exactly what happens in mine! quite perfectly worded :D

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok, that doesn´t sound very well.. What have they done to your car so far? Did they change the box? I´m going to my dealer at 8am tomorrow morning, hopefully they realize there is a problem and sort it..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.