nightflight

Mk5 Ibiza Bulb List

P1TT8ULL

Jul 3, 2010
loughton, essex
i purchased some bulbs online. fogs main and dipped all fine just worried about side lights. the description says 'e marked and road legal' and when i spoke to seller on phone he confirmed they were legal. still not to sure if they are to blue or not. driven passed a few police no probs but im sure theres a jobs worth out there waiting to pull me over and fine me. any great suggestions. cheers

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I'll be changing the lights on my Cupra which has Bi-Xenons, I'll pop up a guide as too how hard/easy it is, D1S bulbs, 501s etc :)
Just to clarify that the DRL's are as simple as changing the indicator bulb on the standard twin headlamp :)

Danny.

Shelby

Mar 1, 2011
West London
Hello folks,
Sorry, complete Newbie to all this, but reading the bulbs list with interest as I wouldnt mind changing a few of them around the Mk5, but I havent got a clue what CANBUS is?
Are the bulb codes in blue for LED versions?
And finally, how many reverse lights are there on the Mk5? Mine has only one, but what looks like another one on the other side, wonder if its meant to be like that or just a knackered bulb!!
Thanks
Mike

Feb 8, 2011
I can answer some of your questions....

CANBUS is a digital data bus that various components in a modern car use to communicate with one another. You can read all about it on Wikipedia. Some cars (BMW I think - maybe more) actually need special lamps that interface with the CANBUS but the Ibiza is not one of these and the lamps supplied with the car are all of the traditional type - see the manual you got with the car.

I don't know why the above list states that some of the lamps need to be CANBUS since the original ones aren't. Perhaps someone else will explain.

My 5 door car has two reversing lamps but AFAIK the 3 door cars only have one even though it looks as if there ought to be two. I believe this was discussed elsewhere on this forum - you can't just fit an extra lamp.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I think when it says CANBUS what it means is that these bulbs are linked to the CANBUS system and if you replace them with LED versions, you will get a warning light unless you get CANBUS LEDs

Feb 8, 2011
Ahhhh....

It could be that the failure detector works by sensing that there is no significant current flowing. An LED is a very low current device and might therefore fool the detector into reporting a bulb failure. Perhaps the CANBUS LEDs take more current which stops the failure detector from working.

......... Just a guess.

watchboy

Apr 3, 2011
Greece
Hi I got a Manual from a friend's MK5 2010 and it says that the Fog/Cornering bulb is H11 and not HB4.

Can anyone confirm it?

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2011
The manual for my 2011 model 5-door also says H11. I think the HB4 and H11 are both right-angle types but have different bases.

I generally have spares for all the lamps that are legally required. The fog lamps aren't a legal requirement so I'm not bothered much. Who knows they may even last the life of the car anyway.

watchboy

Apr 3, 2011
Greece
The manual for my 2011 model 5-door also says H11. I think the HB4 and H11 are both right-angle types but have different bases.

I generally have spares for all the lamps that are legally required. The fog lamps aren't a legal requirement so I'm not bothered much. Who knows they may even last the life of the car anyway.

True. Here the fog light is seldom utilized too.

But I am planning to change all the stock bulbs to white light. That's why I asked. Planning to get OSRAM or Philips for it.:p

watchboy

Apr 3, 2011
Greece
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I just checked with the dealer and it is CONFIRMED that the fog light bulb is HB4!!! :)

a.fish

so, i've just finished doing all the lights inside and out.....having had the car going back to the dealers this week for a cooling problem, they noticed the new lights and told me that my warranty for lights was now void as i had put after-market bulbs in....i sorta knew that this would be the case but as a new light unit is anywhere in the region of £160 i'm not too keen on having to replace them.

i am using a full set of Ultra lights, fog, main, side...has anyone had any wiring issues? the dealer put the fear in me saying although brighter lights are better, some can draw more power than the wires are designed for...therefore frying them.

can any one advise??

a.fish

that was my point to them too. If a light had gone, by law, i'm expected to change it! according to them, your to bring it back to the dealer!! :confused:

makes no sense really, i'm tempted to try and find a set of 'void' stickers so that if anything does happen, in go the old lights, fresh stickers and no one's the wiser!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise