Instrument Cluster White LED Lighting

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
I have liked the white numbers/letters and red needle instrument cluster lighting ever since my dad bought his A3 Sportback, and was so happy that the Leon was the same. After some research into the method I went about changing the lighting in the Ibiza.

I could only find 2 places in SA that sell the required LED type, SMD LED 3528, the "3528" meaning 3.5mm x 2.8mm in size . . . they are tiny! For this job one needs 12 white LEDs, 5 for the speedo, 5 for the rev counter, 1 for the fuel gauge and 1 for the temperature gauge.

http://www.communica.co.za/ProductListing.aspx?search=ka-3528&for=partNo&in=startsWith

http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/a...sid=ad6297bf458880b05b5c3729ae0cc4db&x=17&y=9

Unfortunately the selection is limited and as noted on another forum 1000mcd would be the right brightness to go for. I had the choice between 300mcd (Communica) and 2000mcd (Rabtron). I chose to try the 2000mcd white LEDs from Rabtron.

Stripping the instrument cluster from the dash isnt too difficult, I beleive there are tutorials around for it. There are about 8 torx screws to remove in the process. Once the cluster is unplugged the covers are removed by unclipping these clips. Best method I found is to use some strips of hard plastic to slip under the clip so it remains unlatched until you can pry the cover off.

DSC00636.jpg

With the front and back covers removed you will have this,

DSC00617-2.jpg

This is a critical step in the dis-assembly. Take careful note of the needles positioning. I took close up pictures of the needles, you can also use small pieces of tape to mark them.

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00615-1.jpg

DSC00614-2.jpg

Next step is removing the needles. Care should be taken when removing them as they are driven by small stepper motors. To remove the needles pinch the centres and turn against the "flow" of the needle in regular operation. I.e. for the speedo, rev counter and temperature gauge turn anti-clockwise to remove needles. To remove the fuel gauge needle turn the needles clockwise. While turning pull straight up.

With the needles removed the printed plastic cluster sheet can be removed. With the sheet removed.

DSC00634.jpg

The LEDs to swap for the numbers/letters lighting are the 5 outer LEDs for the speedo and similarly for the rev counter,

DSC00624.jpg

DSC00619-1.jpg

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
There is one for each of the fuel and temperature gauges,

DSC00621.jpg

The white plastic cover needs to be removed to have access to the LEDs. There are 4 plastic clips on the underside of the board as well as 8 metal hooks (holding the LCD screens down). With those loosened the plastic cover can be lifted off gently.

Close inspection of the LEDs will reveal a corner that has been chamfered,

smd3528.jpg

The corner with the chamfer indicates the polarity of the LED. Polarity is important with LEDs. Before removing any of the original LEDs mark the polarity on the board. This will save you from trial and error soldering of the LEDs. A good hint here would be to also take a close up clear picture of the board so you can see the correct polaritys (just incase).

Now the fun part starts. I was never the best solderer, it comes with my crappy welding skills too. I was really nervous when I started but having done 50+ LEDs now im more than comfortable with the task. The best way I found was to use a pair of special long tweezers (will post a pic) that I would hold the LED in with my left hand. With my right I would hold the solder. Always keep a small amount of fresh solder on the tip of the iron, whether desoldering the originals or soldering the new LEDs. I have a temp controlled soldering iron which i set to 235-245deg C. This seemed to be optimal for the small amount of solder. Do not keep the soldering iron pressed to the LED terminal for more than 3seconds. They are tiny LEDs and will burn out easily. Having said that its best to always buy a few extra in case any are faulty or burn out. Then its a matter of getting stuck in, desoldering the original LEDs and soldering on the new ones, remembering to have the chamfered corners on the same side that they were for the originals.

Once all the LEDs are swapped its a good idea to check them before re-assembling the cluster and chucking it back into the dash.

DSC00633.jpg

A "phenomenon" that I found was the two inner LEDs for the speedo and rev counter being brighter than the other 4 for each ring. This is suspected to be the way the LEDs are paired up on the circuit board. When the engine is running all the LEDs resume similar birghtness.

Once you are satisfied that everything is working sharp, put it all back together and re-install.

Results,

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Would be very interested in doing this.
Did it take you long?
I have a mate with a mini an he's had this done for £200, He has blue dials with white redline markers

How much does it cost and how long would it take?

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
This does look nice! I would have the headlight icon in a different colour aswell, maybe keep a red/white theme ?

skeo07fr

Jul 4, 2010
Boston, Lincolnshire
love this..i must admit when my dad got his audi i loved the LED dials and was looking to see if you could get it done..might give it ago when im feeling brave maybe..good job though looks really good

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
I'd give mine ago but after doing the Ring of light LED's on my xbox and struggling i decided id never do it again! The LED Fits inside the "0" on a 50P coin!

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
It's easier than you'd think, but I'd recommend getting someone who knows how to solder properly to replace the LEDs. It probably, took me about 2 hours all in to do, I'm happy with the result.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
White Looks amazing! somthing i would like to do :)

How much it cost in total

Joe

The Blue LED's for mine cost me £18 +/- for 20 including some spares, access to a decent soldering iron and time, and the "know how" thats all it should cost

I went with Blue, copying my once owned 6N2 Polo Dash

Last edited:

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
The Blue LED's for mine cost me £18 +/- for 20 including some spares, access to a decent soldering iron and time, and the "know how" thats all it should cost

I went with Blue, copying my once owned 6N2 Polo Dash

Cool well i have a soldering iron at home that works
But having the time to do it is another thing haha
I think i prefer the white personally looks alot more crisp

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Cool well i have a soldering iron at home that works
But having the time to do it is another thing haha
I think i prefer the white personally looks alot more crisp

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the White looks very nice too. I ordered them from farnell's website. But I'm sure you could get them from a lot of other places.

n2o

hi!
ive been searching around forums and i found some posts that just removing instrument cluster (and putting it back) caused car not starting.. Then the had to rescan some thing (dont know exactly what). Did you have some similar problems?

And i would also want to know if you removed the ground cable from the battery before removing instrument cluster?