Remap power? Star performance

ross-cupra R

Hi I have a Leon cupra R 2003 210bhp
When I bought it it had forge 007 DV, JR airfilter and a front mounted intercooler(not forge) and standard exhaust system, the car pulls well and was just wondering if these mod's alone would of made a difference in BHP?
I'm looking at a remap from star performance in fife as there the closest to me and ment to be good.
Does anyone have any experience with them and what sort of bhp will I be looking at?
The guy I bought the car from said it was ready for stage 2 remap and will take the car to 280BHP easy, the guy was trying to sell me the car mind you.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Hi I have a Leon cupra R 2003 210bhp
When I bought it it had forge 007 DV, JR airfilter and a front mounted intercooler(not forge) and standard exhaust system, the car pulls well and was just wondering if these mod's alone would of made a difference in BHP?
I'm looking at a remap from star performance in fife as there the closest to me and ment to be good.
Does anyone have any experience with them and what sort of bhp will I be looking at?
The guy I bought the car from said it was ready for stage 2 remap and will take the car to 280BHP easy, the guy was trying to sell me the car mind you.

007, jetex filter and front mount if all on properly and working as they should can gain you some bhp for sure. My 225 LCR made 241bhp on the rollers a couple of weeks ago before being stage 2 remapped.. I was running a front mount, jetex cone, 007p, forge TIP and standard exhaust.... then a new milltek turbo back exhaust went on and stage 2 map and it made 283bhp...

It won't make 280+ bhp easy but it can be expected if the car is looked after, run on good fuel and fitted with the right mods.

The bloke was wrong in saying your car is ready for stage 2 as you will need a sports cat/de-cat with larger downpipe to go to a stage 2 map. Mine is 3" downpipe and 200 cell sports cat. This is the important bit to flow more... the cat-back is not 100% essential for stage 2, but I find it easier to change the whole system than have half performance and half standard... bit of a bodge tbh.

If you do 100% have a standard exhaust system, it will need to be changed to go stage 2, but you can still go stage one and could make around 270bhp mark maybe less maybe tad more, there's always the dyno lottery factor to take into account.

EDIT: not used Star Performance before or been in contact with them. If you can go REVO instead somewhere else I would go for that.

Last edited:

GMH23

Apr 2, 2010
Perthshire, Scotland
Hey, I've had a bit of contact with Star about a re-map but I was really un-impressed with the way they handled my enquiry. I've decided to go with PerformanceVAG in Perth, who use Revo software. I's sure Star are fine though, just my experience with them put me off.

I had a custom map on my Mk3 Ibiza Cupra that was done by Star Performance (a good number of years ago). It was a great map. Ran lower boost than the likes of REVO but it held boost for longer and made equal power and more torque than my mate's who had a REVO map.

However, I'm pretty sure they are using GIAC generic maps these days - Which on other Forums (Audi/VW) get good press.

ross-cupra R

Cheers Tom that's great stage 1 it is for me, not to fussed about getting a exhaust at the moment:)
Do performanceVAG have a rolling road? Star do and they run it before and after the remap for £300 I'd really be wanting the road but it would be handy if they did as only 15mins up the road from me and what sort of price are they?

GMH23

Apr 2, 2010
Perthshire, Scotland
They dont have a rolling road no. From what they told me, they run diagnostics and do a sort of before and after run out on the roads (presumably with you at the wheel). Surely its better that the car feels fast and smooth on the road rather than on a dyno which might not even give accurate readings?

ross-cupra R

yeah true it dosent mater what power you have its how fast the car is on the tarmac but everyone wants to know the BHP :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Good if the place does a decent map and like mine, took my car out 1st on the road, put it on the rollers, mapped it, then took it back out on the road.

Helps to fine tune it. Mine is a very smooth map :)

digimac

Jul 27, 2004
Edinburgh
www.fusionburn.co.uk
Ive used Star since I bought my 180bhp Cupra almost 6 years ago for all my servicing etc.

Good guys who know there stuff in my opinion.

I got my car stage one mapped by them about a yr or so ago. Car was totally standard apart from a jetex panel filter and forge 007p at the time.

I am running a Giac stage one map. Was making about 210bhp.

I have been really pleased with the map, totally transformed the car, but I haven't driven any other maps so have nothing to compare to.

Giac are a well respected map that seem to be getting used a lot by mk2 owners.

I am now running a silicone TIP, forge 007p, jetex cone, silicone upper boost pipes and custom cat back exhaust. Car still feels great, the mods ive done since the map all seem to compliment it.

As has been said above, bhp figures are not everything. To me its how the car feels on the road. i totally fell in love with mine again after getting it mapped.

Last edited:

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Another vote for Star. Got my stage 1 remap done from them last year. The owner Jim really knows his stuff about all VAG cars. He's been tuning them for years. Aparently they are one of the top VAG tuners in Scotland. His maps are more conservative which I think he said was to conserve the clutch. My LCR made 255bp and 275lb.ft torque. As said they do a before and after run on the rollers and takes about an hour in total to do. I have heard that Jim can be a bit 'grumpy' in his off days but he certainly wasnt when I was there. Definately recommend them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.