Single din coversion to Double din with mods

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
first of all i would like to thank PAB for his double din guide which i found very useful thanks

pic of stereo out
aec890f7.jpg

out comes the single din
bf358703.jpg

Just to let you know cost of a double din is in the region of £250 plus from the dealers......thanks to my ebay looking i picked one up for £70 in top condition with the facia wow that was a treat....

Double din installed
f3786f69.jpg

As you can see in the pic on the left of it where the white super glue is i cut the black piece out so my climate sensor can be installed as i didnt want to start cutting wires. You will probably find that both the tube and the wires are too short to reach this location, and so both need to be extended. The wire i kept the same length, but the tube i took out and modified it for the right fitment.

blank piece i cut out with stanley knife
0bdb0431.jpg

pic of the original tube which is way too long and needs cutting down
e69203bf.jpg

cut tube
33fe9061.jpg

length of tube which i cut off
6bf1b5c2.jpg

i then ordered a 90 degree elbow 14mm was perfect and a tight fit too. bout £2.50
e93346fa.jpg

on one end of the tube
014d46a8.jpg

then the other. make sure it is completly tight and to the ends of the elbow
9a1bd9ba.jpg

a perfect bond

once that was complete i super glued the climte sensor in the cut out hold so it did not fall back out or move.

The next problem i came across was the cigarette lighter. now this the only source of power to your car for your sat nav phone charging. so what i did was remove the lighter from the single din ash tray, which i can tell you was not easy at all but patience and slow working on it and it will come out eventually.

i cut the plastic from the top and bottom
0e441b4e.jpg

c90479b4.jpg

bit of force it will come out there is a black plastic piece on top that needs to be removed first before the lighter comes out. hey its out
6f20b7a6.jpg

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
next i cut the facia where the diagnostic port is as my diagnostic port is on the handbrake console so no worries there. Just a little trim round with a sharp knife will be fine..
69542f03.jpg

same will need doing on the console itself
49d4da83.jpg

test to make sure the lighter sits in properly. dont worry if you have slightly cut more off as you will cover with the facia
82c60f04.jpg

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
i did forget to mention you will need to cut around the diagnostic port on the rear of the console too.

facia installed with the lighter in. it will be abit tight as i found the console frame in the rear was in the way of the lighter again abit messing around and it should all b ok

facia installed with the lighter in. it will be abit tight as i found the console frame in the rear was in the way of the lighter again abit messing around and it should all b ok.
2f9aca04.jpg

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
another pic with a rubber over on.
0bdb0431.jpg

pic of facia on but as you can see i never fitted the sensor wire and tube on this pic, but just to show how the complete will look
59efc01e.jpg

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
very nice piece of conversion at a total cost of £72.50

£70.00 console and facia
£2.50 elbow......

Happy dayzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Deleted member 12147

Looks good, will be doing this myself next week hopefully. I also got mine off Ebay but I paid £25 for mine :) gotta love a bargain.

I don't know whether to buy the centre console bit with the lower ashtray/ lighter already in.

Last edited by a moderator:

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008
Looks good, will be doing this myself next week hopefully. I also got mine off Ebay but I paid £25 for mine :) gotta love a bargain.

I don't know whether to buy the centre console bit with the lower ashtray/ lighter already in.

You can do mate, but iv stuck with the same one and just moved the lighter to a reasonable place myself. Much easier, but worth a try.... Good luck

D1SHABBA

Mar 6, 2008

Guess if your a smoker then it should bother u, but if u a non smoker like me, or don't let anyone smoke in the car then it's not a prob

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
What search as in what did you type into Ebay to find these?

Also look under Toledo V5 as there are a lot more double dins fitted to them and they are the same, it should be easier to pick up the correct center console as well.
There is another option if you need the 12V power source for a sat nav, i had to loose the ash tray when i fitted my boost controller so i fitted the power source as in the pic, all you need to do is drill the hole and fit, the wire reaches without any modding.

6269237417_c07d00c6cd_b.jpg

Deleted member 12147

Mine is off a Toledo v5 as mentioned above. Also Audi s3/a3 (8L) will fit. Thanks phillc I was considering putting mine in that location you've now made my mind up. I might get one of those spring loaded flap cover things to go over mine though.

Deleted member 12147

I'm not gonna bother with the gear stick console now, i don't smoke so don't need an ashtray. I was tempted though the guy only wanted £35 delivered for it.

Deleted member 12147

Well the plan is to make an integrated iphone holder for the iphone5 (when it comes out) I already have a single din pioneer 7" flip out screen so i will house the iphone in the bottom half of the double din.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members