P0601 (EPC & Emission lights on)

markw20

Hello everybody.

A little help needed please for the above fault on my wife's 2005 Leon 2 litre TSFI.

The EPC light came on followed later the same day by the Emissions light (the engine block symbol). The car runs perfectly and shows no sign of a fault.
I cleared the fault lights with my Generic OBD reader, but they reappear almost instantly after a subsequent start up.

The car was taken to an independent garage who also confirmed P0601(Internal Checksum Error) but were unable to clear both lights with their diagnostic gear.

A little searching on here shows that others have experienced the same problem too, but I'm not sure whether it was a freebie fix by the dealer to have updated software loaded or whether the dealers made a charge.

To my (perhaps naive) way of thinking, if there's a known problem with a piece of software, then it should be fixed f.o.c.

Could somebody with this fault say what their experience was when approaching the dealer?

Many thanks,
Mark.

markw20

Just to update on this.

Took the car to Seat dealer ( Castlegate, Norwich). They rang back the next day saying we needed a new ecu and it would cost up to £1000!!!!!

I told them about the software issue, which they promptly denied ever hearing about, but they said they would look into it and report back.

5 days later we get a call saying it's been done with a software update. (£90 charge though)

Just goes to show that a little research of other's experiences can save a bucketfull of cash.

Thanks for reply.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Shows how much some dealers know!....this is why forums are very good as in most cases people have had similar issues and managed to get it resolved and pass on the help.

Glad you got it sorted....and £90 is better thank a kick in the teeth!

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
I had exactly the same problem on my TFSI Sport back in May and got mine re-flashed at AMD for £70; I was told similar things to you about probably needing a new ECU by Seat dealers.

Point to bear in mind is that the possible cause of the corrupted software (checksum error) in the ECU is low battery voltage, mine was 12.4v and the factory original, so I replaced it before re-flashing, if yours isn't at least 12.6v (without the engine running) then I would replace it, or you could end up with the same problem again.

Have a look here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16985/P0601/001537 it's were I found out the possible battery issue.

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
I had the exact same lights come on last year (also have a TFSI Sport, 06 plate). Took it to SEAT and the fault was the car basically saying it wanted a new ECU. They did show me the print out from VAG-COM.

SEAT ran an update on it for £50, job done. Touchwood, it hasn't come back since.

Last edited:

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
I had the exact lights come on last year (also have a TFSI Sport, 06 plate). Took it to SEAT and the fault was the car basically saying it wanted a new ECU. They did show me the print out from VAG-COM.

SEAT ran an update on it for £50, job done. Touchwood, it hasn't come back since.

Touchwood before the car is sold....remember, sold as seen is always best! ;)

Last edited:

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
Haha indeed :). She runs like a dream now so I have no worries if I do sell her!

I have heard the ECU issue is a common one...

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
this is a common issue on the 2.0tfsi
i cant understand how dealers can get away with it
the diag tool vas5051 use to tell you or ask you if it needed a update years ago
it sounds like the tool isnt as good or the how can i say it without offending people the techs arent as good or cant be bothered?
could be down to companies being accountant lead now (money money money)

cpcpeter

Jul 22, 2012
Falkirk, Scotland
Had exactly the same thing on my Leon Cupra 2007 Mk2 - dealers don't seem to initially know much about the "software update" but after showing them the campaign number ("24S1 66 BOO" in my case) they managed to upgrade the ECU software from version 0010 to 0020 which is apparently the latest one.

BEAR IN MIND ONE THING!!! My Cupra was stage 1 remapped and now that it has had its software updated it has reset everything including the map. It drives as stock now. Not so important luckily as I wanted the map changed anyway, but still something to bear in mind!

Thanks to research on this forum I have saved myself £1000 for a new ECU! Thank you chaps! :lol::):D:3rd::funk:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Does any have a copy of this capaign number? I have this very same fault today. Low mileage 07 Cupra and I know I have S0010 software.

I did ask Seat to upgrade me to S0020 a while back for my APR anti theft to work but they want £90+ for the diagnostics and upgrade.

It looks like I will need this now as the fault will not clear and scans as above:

001537 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
P0601 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

I'm hoping it's not an ECU needed as I've read also :(

I will lose my APR map but can get this put back on at Awesome.

Last edited:

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
The first thing to check is the condition of your battery (see my post above), it's not likely to be your ECU that is the problem just the software, which would need to be re-flashed/installed.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I seen the battery info but it's a 5 year warranty Varta which is less than two years old and voltage is reading at 12.6v in VCDS (engine not running) which I'm sure is correct.

I also think the software needs updating.

Last edited:

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Had the same problem with my Cupra, EPC light was on and had the same code as yourself, when the car was remapped the tuner installed an old software which caused the checksum to come up incorrect a few months later. I dropped the car off to AMD on Saturday for APR v3.4 and they said the checksum was due to the old software. They updated the software and installed the new map and all sorted! Don't be fooled into paying £1000 for the problem to come straight back!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The error originates within the software's internal HEX calculations and is flagged when they are not correct. its an error within the programming and, as already pointed out can be rectified with a re-flash. i just flash the most updated, standard revo file on them and it removes the issue. i've also accidentally induced said fault on failed flashes :doh:

cpcpeter

Jul 22, 2012
Falkirk, Scotland
MJ, I'm about to go for Revo map - I've already got my local dealer to reflash my ECU to get rid of the checksum error but can I be confident that the Revo map will not cause the possibility of the checksum error to come back again?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members