7-speed DSG Oil Change /Upgrade

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
A Neighbour has given me a copy of an article he has read in February 2014 VOLKSWAGEN DRIVER Magazine which states the following, " To ensure customer satisfaction, Volkswagen has launched a GLOBAL campaign and its REQUESTING ALL CUSTOMERS with a 7-SPEED DUAL- clutch DSG DQ200 Gearbox fitted with SYNTHETIC OIL to visit a Workshop for an OIL EXCHANGE.
It says that the relevant vehicle owners will be informed by VOLKSWAGEN UK accordingly,
with the affected vehicles UPGRADE to be initiated during the FIRST QUARTER of 2014.
Bocawata.

JDHampson

Strange, I have been in for a service at Seat Swindon and asked regarding any recalls and they confirmed there were none for my car. Also tried to book the DSG service as I'm close to 40,000 miles but been told the gearbox won't require a service for the lifetime of the car as it's a sealed unit!?

First I have heard!?

DiscoStu88

Sep 24, 2013
Blackpool
That's correct it is a sealed unit however I believe the wrong oil was placed in originally and now they are changing it to mineral oil from fully synthetic?

Has anyone had a letter from seat about this? Keen to get mine changed as sometimes it's hesitant to set off in 1st or 2nd when in traffic and I get a bit of a lag until the power is applied.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
The item above was taken out of Volkswagen,s own magazine this month February and it says the UPGRADE to be initiated during the "First Quarter of 2014". So possibly Seat Dealers haven,t been informed yet , I will therefore give them a few weeks to possibly get the info or for Volkswagen / Seat to get in touch with me for the UPGRADE to be carried out.
I wonder if the work to be done is not seen as being straight forward and "The Dealers " are not to keen to carry it out as its a "Sealed Unit"!!!!.
Bocawata

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
I enquired about this when my 7 speed DSG completely failed late last year. SEAT claim that it isn't a recall but a 'customer satisfaction issue' or some such nonsense.

Meanwhile, back in the English language, the recall is supposed to be rolled out as stated earlier - 1st quarter of 2014, when synthetic will be replaced with mineral oil. No information was forthcoming as to whether the mineral oil would require changing at regular intervals thereafter.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
I would imagine that once the Synthetic Oil has been replaced with Mineral Oil it will be "For Life" as the problem is a chemical reaction between Sulphur in the Syth; Oil and an Inorganic Heat Stabiliser in the Plastic parts of the Mechatronic Unit causing corrosion which can lead to short circuit.!!!
This info is from the article as described in my earlier Article above.
Bocawata.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
If your not the original Owner then you will possibly not get notification but I would visit the Seat Garage which originally sold the car( Handstamp in Pre Delivery section of Service Book) and tell them your the present Owner and to contact you when they get the "Go Ahead".
I think Seat will need "Chasing " on this one as they are notorious for Being Negative!!! on work needing done.
Bocawata

jct 1991

this doesn't apply for the 1.4tsi DSG's as they are dry gearbox's !

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
Hi, I am confused !!!, Are you saying that the 7 Speed Gear Box on our Bocanegra,s is not the DSG DQ200 and therefore doesn,t require the OIL UPGRADE as mentioned in the earlier post above!!!
Looking forward to peoples comments as I,m not sure !!!
Bocawata.

jct 1991

Yea this update is for oiled gearbox's only the one in the 1.4tsi 7speed dsg in the polo ibiza and fabia is a dry running gearbox so doesnt have this issue !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
this doesn't apply for the 1.4tsi DSG's as they are dry gearbox's !

Yea this update is for oiled gearbox's only the one in the 1.4tsi 7speed dsg in the polo ibiza and fabia is a dry running gearbox so doesnt have this issue !

The entire gearbox isn't dry however, there is still oil in it!

The dry/wet refers to the clutch being immersed in oil, the dry was designed around never needing to be 'serviced' as such however it still has oil in it.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011

This was also for my Leon 1.8 Tsi 7 speed (DQ200) as it's also a dry clutch.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.