Start Stop - Push To Turn On?

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Does anyone know if its possible to make the default behaviour of the start stop system deactivated and then use the dash button to activate it? Essentially the reverse of the way it works out of the box.

I have only had my 300 4drive for a couple of weeks, mostly doing commute start stop driving and the system is somewhat frustrating (although a s**t load better than the 2015 golf vii and vrs before that)... The fact that it stops as you coast to the lights is great but the engine will often start up again before setting off (probably due to ac running or whatever) which means that every time i stop at the lights the engine cuts and then approx 5-10secs later restarts before set off... On some occasions on bloody roadworks lights that last forever it will stop, reactivate and then stop again!

Additionally, coming into roundabouts when you might brake firmly to almost stopped but then go again as you time the traffic the start stop system will begin to activate and your steering goes heavy only for the throttle input to interrupt it and you carry on with a bit of lunge!

I know in OBD11 you can turn off the start stop system by default (permanently?) but can it then be turned on manually by pushing the dash button? This way when i know i am going to want the system running to save the tiniest bit of fuel i can simply push the button. It annoys me having to start the car and then immediately turn off the system.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Here's my 2 cents.
As far as I know, the way it works in my car - 1.2 Mk3 Leon, the car never shuts down in slow speeds and when the car's situation doesn't fit shut down. Meaning that if I don't stop moving completely the car won't stop and neither if Ac is on and car hasn't wormed enough and etc.
About fuel consumption - I don't think that this tiny fuel saving is worth at the cost of wrecking the engine with all these shutdowns

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Here's my 2 cents.
As far as I know, the way it works in my car - 1.2 Mk3 Leon, the car never shuts down in slow speeds and when the car's situation doesn't fit shut down. Meaning that if I don't stop moving completely the car won't stop and neither if Ac is on and car hasn't wormed enough and etc.
About fuel consumption - I don't think that this tiny fuel saving is worth at the cost of wrecking the engine with all these shutdowns

Is your Leon DSG?

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Manual - works much better than in automatic because it will only activate or deactivate according to the clutch engagement

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
I wouldn't use it anyway..
Especially if you bought a cupra.. Fuel consumption shouldn't concern you that much lol

Last edited:

andy295

Leon FR EcoTSI 150
Feb 16, 2017
Here's my 2 cents.
if I don't stop moving completely the car won't stop and neither if Ac is on and car hasn't wormed enough and etc.
That's interesting. Mine is a manual FR facelift and it does shut down when I'm coasting to a stop. I notice because the power steering suddenly stops working! It can be disconcerting.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
That's interesting. Mine is a manual FR facelift and it does shut down when I'm coasting to a stop. I notice because the power steering suddenly stops working! It can be disconcerting.
That's interesting indeed. While I was in a vacation I drove a 2016 diesel Octavia and it also shut down when I was just coasting.. That's really weird and dangerous overall.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Yeah, i went ahead and disabled it in OBD11 to give it a try. It is a lot better now - btw don't follow the guide on the list of adaptions - these both make you trick sensors into disabling start stop - instead select module 1 engine and it is at the top of the list 'activation of start stop' and you can select 'not active'.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
Once disabling it on obd11 can you activate it again when driving or do you have to use obd again?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
i think once it is disabled it has to be reactivated again but will try after work by pushing the button - i didn't do it on my lunch break trip to the shops!

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Mine does stop when coasting but only at a very low almost stopped sort of speed. I very very rarely coast anyway as I don't see what it achieves anyway????

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Yeah, i went ahead and disabled it in OBD11 to give it a try. It is a lot better now - btw don't follow the guide on the list of adaptions - these both make you trick sensors into disabling start stop - instead select module 1 engine and it is at the top of the list 'activation of start stop' and you can select 'not active'.
I tried that option and it couldn't set it for some reason, obd11 kept returning an error. I eventually went the documented route of setting the voltage levels higher, and it's been turned off ever since. Absolute bliss :)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I'm guessing you were in neutral and almost at a standstill when it shuts off?

I have a DSG, so it only really shut off the engine when I've stopped and medium-fully pressing the brakes. If I'm at a stop, but only lightly pressing the brakes, it will not shut off even if SS is activated.

In crawling traffic/approaching roundabout I usually turn it off, if I'm first at lights when it has turned red, I definately let it turn off the engine. I think I read somewhere SS only saves fuel if you can keep the engine off for 10-15 secs (eg...long red light). Else restarting it actually uses more fuel.

There was a video on 5th gear, when they drove a Megane Diesel, only with 1 litre in the tank. With start/stop off, it managed 12 miles on 1 litre. Doing it again, with Start/stop active, it managed 14 miles on 1 litre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nr0h7GXY6E

True or not, I don't know...but if I'm sat at red traffic lights my engine will be off.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
The VAG group cars stop/start is one of the best I have seen. You should see the one in BMW...... Total waste of space. Never works when you want it to and vice versa.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk