DTUK

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Old 29-08-2006, 13:42   #1
rubble2

rubble2 has 10 points
spacesaver tyre and wheel

Apologies if this has already been covered but I am trying to find some definitive information on the spacesaver spare for an 06 model year Leon.

I bought this car (2.0 TDI Reference Sport) 10 days ago, It is a pre registered 06 model and therefore does not have a spare wheel. I have asked the parts dept. at the dealer what the part numbers and prices are, this is what I was told :-

There are two versions of spacesaver wheels for the Leon, an 18" one and a 16" one, both apparantly will fit my car ?
The 18" wheel with tyre is readily available from Seat for approx £173.68
The 16" wheel is not currently available as Seat do not have any suitable tyres available.
I then asked if the 16" rim was available without the tyre, it is for £39.55, the idea being to source the tyre myself. I therefore asked what the spec of the tyres was, and was told that the 18" version is a 125-70-18 and that the 16" version is a 125-70-16
I am assuming that the '70' in both cases is the aspect ratio, so how can a 16" rim with a '70' aspect ratio tyre fit a car that has 205-55-16 tyres as standard? Even more worrying, how could a 125-70-18 ever fit?.

The dealer later phoned me back and sail that they could source and fit a brigestone tyre to the 16" rim for an all in price of £99, which I guess isn't bad, I am just worried that what he is telling me is wrong.

If anyone has a new Leon with a spacesaver spare, could they confirm the tyre and rim size for me please, and the size of the standard wheels on the car. Thanks
rubble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:23   #2
Distant Sun
Contains mild peril

Distant Sun has 10 points
At the time I tried to get a space saver for our Altea there where two different sizes available in Europe, 16" and 18", but only 18" in UK (as far as I know). The tyre size for the 18" was T125/70 R18. From the thread below there are links to the German Seat forum (provided by Klawit) which seem to confirm that the tyre size for the 16" wheel is T125/70 R16 (subject to my best German translation)

http://http://www.seatcupra.net/foru...ht=space+saver

The dealer may actually be correct for once

Edit: By the way, welcome to the site and enjoy your new car!

2000 Leon 1.6SE, Space Black, JE-Design light brows, Mattig badgeless grille, Panasonic head unit, Phillips Silvervision indicator and Bluevision H7 bulbs, PIAA white/white LED sidelight bulbs
Distant Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:40   #3
Tom B

Tom B has 10 points
Do the tyres go in your boot, or under it?

If they go in the boot, surely it'd be cheaper to find a full size steelie and tyre from eBay? If I was in your shoes, I'd do that as space savers can really ruin a day, especially when you're in a rush.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15   #4
Stealthdave

Stealthdave has 10 points
doesnt come with a spare wheel? is it like the gilf with a repair kit to get you home then?
Stealthdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 22:42   #5
Chuckie
I Have It

Chuckie has 10 points
The original Mk2 Leons came with a tin of foam etc, but the 2007MY FR comes with a space saver as standard (I don't know if it is an FR or a 2007MY thing)

Chris
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote