2011 Ibiza estate 1.2 tsi - new purchase / few issues

Oct 28, 2023
Hey all

New here and wondering if you guys/gals could possibly shed some light on a few issues I'm having with a 2011 Ibiza estate 1.2tsi.

Purchased the car as seen for a really good price and have always kind of done my own maintenance/repairs on previous cars and learned a lot along the way with help from associated forums but think I'm at that point where I'm a it stumped now.

Story so far....

Bought the vehicle as seen which included a:-leaking/failed water pump,
missing poly v belt(snapped whilst driving),
oil leak on the front crank seal (noticed very slight play on pully)
snapped breather top side engine close to airbox
slight oil leak/staining from timing cover.

this was what was spotted on the purchase. vehicle was on a driveway so didn't get to drive it until I'd fixed the coolant leak and tax/insured it to get it home.

so I Install new waterpump and belt check for leaks all seems ok let the car idle with heaters blowing and expansion cap off and air seems to come out pumped top rad hose coolant dropped so I top off and this seems all good.

fast forward a few days and the cars now taxed insured and home for me to work on and I've discovered a lot more (ouch).

temp warning on dash with 3 beeps whilst car runs for longer than a 10min drive.

coolant seems to expell/over flow from the expansion tank at points.

rad hoses seem solid/pressurised top hose boiling bottom hose cold and no signs of fans running.

expansion tank doesn't seem to re circulate unless I'm manually pumping the return lines.

Left heater matrix pipe at bulk is boiling and again pressurised right pipe at bulk is cold less pressure.

Cabin air is cold on passenger side and mildly warm driver side.

I've also noticed the system stays pressurised and if left that way I'll get a poor start but releasing pressure from the expansion tank allows the car to start.

I've done some research and checks over the system and I'm left with the below possible out comes.

Coolant blockage pipe or rad
Thermostat
Heater matrix
Head gasket.

Paper work with the vehicle shows receipts from seat main dealer for head gasket and bolts done 18months ago

Timing chain and tensioner done 12 months ago.

Could this be exhaust gasses from the head pressuring the system?

I've read a lot about the heater matrix issues in the TDI does this apply to the 1.2tsi? Would explain the mildly hot driver side cold passenger.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated I've not done a lot on coolant systems so learning this as I go and am liking the car so far so prepared to put the time and effort In.

Also have a grumble from rear and a knock from front driver side whilst over bumps uneven road but Ive not checked drivetrain properly yet so guessing that's just going to be a top mount /bushes/drop link ect

Any common failure points around these areas for the car?

Also what diagnostic tools/software are available? Can I use a cloned version to grab/clear codes?

I currently have and associated leads :-
Peugeot planet/diagbox
Forscan
Opcom
Ista+
Vauxcom

Look forward to your replys

👍

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.