2017 Leon FR ST 184 radar sensor and grill

caledonian

Jan 9, 2021
Hey guys my Radar sensor stopped working so have it in at a seat franchised dealer (Arnold Clark) to get checked I have an extended warranty so was hoping it would just get fixed. The dealer are refusing to even look at it as they say I have an aftermarket grill and and would need to pay £270 to get it taken off. If it is an aftermarket grill it was on it when I bought it from Arnold Clark in June last year and I have photos so I won't be paying them anything. Does this look aftermarket to you or are they at it? They'll be talking about the bottom half with the radar sensor

Screenshot_20220228-134503.png

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Yours appears to have a mesh across the front of the sensor which ours doesn't; otherwise it seems the same.
Ours is like this:
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: caledonian

DLewis77

Jun 1, 2021
Hi @caledonian

The radar is a consistent issue across the VAG range, my wife had an issue with an Arona - for no reason it started coming up a fault which they wanted £300+ to re calibrate and said it was caused by a front end impact (she'd had a bump) which was total balls, after complaining they done it for nothing
which didn't solve the problem initially as it still went into fault randomly but ever since a service they must have done something and now fixed.

Your grill is standard, the only thing I can't comment on is what looks like a mesh over the radar window itself? I've had 4 radars across various SEAT's and none have had that type of mesh, but if this was an issue it would have been a fault from day one (if standard) - can the mesh be removed or is it attached the rest of the grill as any obstruction can cause an issue.

Looks to me like they don't want to get involved as above they are known to be temperamental units.

(get rid of the mesh also)

caledonian

Jan 9, 2021
Thanks for that! So looks like they are right on the grill being after market, not sure why you would put that on there. Still it was sold to me like that so hopefully they'll deal with.

Incidentally they did a "free health check" which was nice of them, only had the car 9 months they recommended I spend over £1600 in services and repairs 😂😂😂

caledonian

Jan 9, 2021
Hi @caledonian

The radar is a consistent issue across the VAG range, my wife had an issue with an Arona - for no reason it started coming up a fault which they wanted £300+ to re calibrate and said it was caused by a front end impact (she'd had a bump) which was total balls, after complaining they done it for nothing
which didn't solve the problem initially as it still went into fault randomly but ever since a service they must have done something and now fixed.

Your grill is standard, the only thing I can't comment on is what looks like a mesh over the radar window itself? I've had 4 radars across various SEAT's and none have had that type of mesh, but if this was an issue it would have been a fault from day one (if standard) - can the mesh be removed or is it attached the rest of the grill as any obstruction can cause an issue.

Looks to me like they don't want to get involved as above they are known to be temperamental units.

(get rid of the mesh also)
Great info thank you very much, yes the issue began about 4 months ago 4 months after i bought it so pretty sure it's not the grill and they are just trying to get out of paying for it to get fixed.

Reactions: DLewis77

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
AFAIK the sensor is in no way attached to the grille so I find it difficult to follow their logic; other than that they can't be ar$ed:rolleyes:

caledonian

Jan 9, 2021
AFAIK the sensor is in no way attached to the grille so I find it difficult to follow their logic; other than that they can't be ar$ed:rolleyes:
Exactly, I think they thought they'd got out of a warranty claim and were going to take me to the cleaners on taking off the grill and recalibrating it. Escalated to the complaints department see what they come back with

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.