288mm to 312mm disc conversion

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
I’m looking for a definitive answer with this, is anyone able to help?

Some people/threads/posts say the calipers are the same (and all that’s needed are carriers), whilst others say the calipers are different.

Some also seem to report problems with ABS, TPMS, etc, whilst others don’t.

I’ve been toasting my current brakes, so looking at upping the size as well as the pads.

Any help is really appreciated!

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I’m looking for a definitive answer with this, is anyone able to help?

Some people/threads/posts say the calipers are the same (and all that’s needed are carriers), whilst others say the calipers are different.

Some also seem to report problems with ABS, TPMS, etc, whilst others don’t.

I’ve been toasting my current brakes, so looking at upping the size as well as the pads.

Any help is really appreciated!

Not sure what the actual differences are, but there are different part numbers for 288mm and 312mm front brake setups.
Both setups share some parts but caliper and carrier part numbers are different.
Also longer self-locking bolts are used in calipers for 312mm (M14x1.5x55) than the ones in calipers for 288mm (M14x1.5x35).
Maybe it is physically possible to keep existing calipers & carriers but I wouldn't do that, there must be something mechanical engineers know :)
At least I would like to see calipers & carriers from both systems side by side and try to determine the actual difference, before deciding on anything.

Reactions: hawkx617

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
You definitely need the carriers from the 312mm brake.
The calipers do have different part numbers - and have a slight variation in mounting bore width - 190 - 189; but someone here has reported it fitted using his existing caliper with the carrier from the 312mm brake.
All of the reputable aftermarket caliper suppliers have different parts for the 288 & 312 versions.

You should code/adapt the car for the new brake size - so the car 'knows' it has the larger brakes and can adjust the ABS/Traction etc..

The 312 is also paired with the larger rear brake - so to keep the brake Front/Rear balance correct - I would also do the rear axle. 253 - 272 upgrade.

Having said all that - if you are just driving on the road and 'toasting' your 288mm brakes either something is wrong/worn out/binding with your existing brakes or you need to thinking about your driving ;)
288mm are bigger than Sierra Cosworth brakes!

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Not sure what the actual differences are, but there are different part numbers for 288mm and 312mm front brake setups.
Both setups share some parts but caliper and carrier part numbers are different.
Also longer self-locking bolts are used in calipers for 312mm (M14x1.5x55) than the ones in calipers for 288mm (M14x1.5x35).
Maybe it is physically possible to keep existing calipers & carriers but I wouldn't do that, there must be something mechanical engineers know :)
At least I would like to see calipers & carriers from both systems side by side and try to determine the actual difference, before deciding on anything.
You definitely need the carriers from the 312mm brake.
The calipers do have different part numbers - and have a slight variation in mounting bore width - 190 - 189; but someone here has reported it fitted using his existing caliper with the carrier from the 312mm brake.
All of the reputable aftermarket caliper suppliers have different parts for the 288 & 312 versions.

You should code/adapt the car for the new brake size - so the car 'knows' it has the larger brakes and can adjust the ABS/Traction etc..

The 312 is also paired with the larger rear brake - so to keep the brake Front/Rear balance correct - I would also do the rear axle. 253 - 272 upgrade.

Having said all that - if you are just driving on the road and 'toasting' your 288mm brakes either something is wrong/worn out/binding with your existing brakes or you need to thinking about your driving ;)
288mm are bigger than Sierra Cosworth brakes!

Rather interestingly, while the calipers are different part numbers, EBC lists the exact same numbers for pads...

Interesting about the brake balance - I hadn't thought about that. Do you reckon it's a no-go to just do the front? The rears aren't viable to do as the caliper spacing, etc is different due to the rigid/multillink axles. I was only considering doing the fronts as 288 is hardly an RS6, and for (potentially) the cost of caliber carriers it seems worth exploring.

I had Brembo discs and pads fitted all round at Xmas, which promptly glazed and made a noise like a dying cat. I put on some OE VW pads to sort it, and I cooked them after a few weeks (I'd covered 1500 miles before thrashing them, and they were bedded properly!). They weren't fading per se, but they absolutely stunk of burning, and were a bit smokey. Checked with the indie that put them on, and they're 100% genuine pads. The car only has 180bhp, and I'm a reasonably competent driver, even if I was sending it quite hard down some single track lanes.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Pads are the same for both versions.

Something sounds wrong to me - the OE pads are very good pads - and shouldn't be smokey/burning from a little spirited road driving (Brembo not so much!).
I would suggest to check if something is binding in your brake system:
Jack up the front wheel - stand on the brake pedal and release and try and rotate each front wheel - should rotate freely with no binding/tight spots.

If binding it could be:
Caliper piston
Rusty caliper carrier (so pads are binding and can't slide)
Caliper slide pins.
Brake hose

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Pads are the same for both versions.

Something sounds wrong to me - the OE pads are very good pads - and shouldn't be smokey/burning from a little spirited road driving (Brembo not so much!).
I would suggest to check if something is binding in your brake system:
Jack up the front wheel - stand on the brake pedal and release and try and rotate each front wheel - should rotate freely with no binding/tight spots.

If binding it could be:
Caliper piston
Rusty caliper carrier (so pads are binding and can't slide)
Caliper slide pins.
Brake hose
I was under the impression that the 312 pads were different to the 288 version - if they're the same then I see no theoretical reason they aren't compatible, so long as the mounting bores match up (maybe a 312 carrier from Skoda, VW, etc will be another option...).

Absolutely no binding or anything - it was the first thing I checked! Calipers, hoses, carriers, etc are all absolutely fine

All I can assume is that I must have received a dodgy batch or something. I've driven the same road at similar speed in a 1L ecoboom Focus, a 1.2 Clio and an A3, and had zero issues. Okay, the Focus didn't exactly stop on a 50p piece and they were a bit warm, but nothing like this. The Brembo's were actually a really decent brake when it came to performance - really nice and sharp pedal feel. They just glazed ridiculously easily. especially seeing as I when I hit motorways and faster roads, I definitely used them!

Mind you, I've decided to stick on some EBC Yellowstuffs (EBC recommended doing front and rear to maintain balance re bite points), and am now considering if it's even worth bothering going up a disc size! 288 to 340 I can see, however will going up 2.4cm in diameter really make any difference?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.