Aftermarket DSP amp with MIB2STD

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Hello,

I'm trying to add an aftermarket amp and i don't have my own VCDS or OBD11 unit. I’m just after some clarification before I ask someone to do this coding for me.

I've been reading this:

Does changing Byte 4-7 to FF000000 change an 8RM set up from splitting the front signal between bass/ treble (separate front door woofer and tweeters), ie. output on pins 1 to 8, 9,10,13 and 14 to just pins 1 - 8 in the quadlock (brown block)? I.e. gets rid of the split front/ bass treble signal.

In combination with that, does amending Byte 11 to 00 nullify the internal MIB unit crossover so that full-range signal then goes to each of the 4 signals now routed to pins 1 - 8?

Car is 2018 Leon FR Technology with MIB 2.5 and 8RM speaker set up with no factory amp.

Cheers

Last edited:

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Hello,

I'm trying to add an aftermarket amp and i don't have my own VCDS or OBD11 unit. I’m just after some clarification before I ask someone to do this coding for me.

I've been reading this:

Does changing Byte 4-7 to FF000000 change an 8RM set up from splitting the front signal between bass/ treble (separate front door woofer and tweeters), ie. output on pins 1 to 8, 9,10,13 and 14 to just pins 1 - 8 in the quadlock (brown block)? I.e. gets rid of the split front/ bass treble signal.

In combination with that, does amending Byte 11 to 00 nullify the internal MIB unit crossover so that full-range signal then goes to each of the 4 signals now routed to pins 1 - 8?

Car is 2018 Leon FR Technology with MIB 2.5 and 8RM speaker set up with no factory amp.

Cheers
For reference, as a follow up to this:

My car was coded at Byte 4-7 as: D70A0000. Changing this to FF000000 sent the outputs as full range to pins 1-8 like I wanted. Very useful info if you’re adding an aftermarket amp. For ref, changing byte 11 from 01 to 00 made matters worse, that was eventually put back to 01.

Essentially the car is now coded as a ‘full range, 4 channel 8RM’ as opposed to the original ‘split front and full range rear, 6 channel 8RM’.

All coding done with OBDeleven.

No need for VCP coding here as I wasn’t changing between Seat Sound/ Beats Audio and standard (or vice Versa).

By the way, some SEAT speaker wire colours and connections differed from their own wiring diagrams even though the model year and 8RM configuration matched, confusingly this didn’t apply to all wires and pin outs.

I made my own T-cable as I hate cutting factory wires. This ensures that when the time comes to sell-on the car I can put everything back as it was by just recoding back to D70A0000 and removing my amp and its cabling.

I recommend taking before and after photos of every connection. That’s a good tip.

I hope all this is helpful to someone trying to do something similar.

Reactions: SuperV8 and Walone
Jan 28, 2022
For reference, as a follow up to this:

My car was coded at Byte 4-7 as: D70A0000. Changing this to FF000000 sent the outputs as full range to pins 1-8 like I wanted. Very useful info if you’re adding an aftermarket amp. For ref, changing byte 11 from 01 to 00 made matters worse, that was eventually put back to 01.

Essentially the car is now coded as a ‘full range, 4 channel 8RM’ as opposed to the original ‘split front and full range rear, 6 channel 8RM’.

All coding done with OBDeleven.

No need for VCP coding here as I wasn’t changing between Seat Sound/ Beats Audio and standard (or vice Versa).

By the way, some SEAT speaker wire colours and connections differed from their own wiring diagrams even though the model year and 8RM configuration matched, confusingly this didn’t apply to all wires and pin outs.

I made my own T-cable as I hate cutting factory wires. This ensures that when the time comes to sell-on the car I can put everything back as it was by just recoding back to D70A0000 and removing my amp and its cabling.

I recommend taking before and after photos of every connection. That’s a good tip.

I hope all this is helpful to someone trying to do something similar.
Can you show me a photo how to change bytes 4-7 to FF through obdeleven? Thanks.

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Can you show me a photo how to change bytes 4-7 to FF through obdeleven? Thanks.
Go into “5F” module. Click “long coding”. Change the highlighted byte (5th one along, as in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4). It should show as “Byte 04” change the hex value to “FF”. Also change “byte 11” hex value to “05” to get a full range signal front and rear. Then either “hard reset” via OB11 or disconnect and hold down the radio power button for 10 sec. Then turn it back on. The last steps are to reboot the system and capture the changes.

Attachments

• IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 54
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.