Battery light

YellowLcr.Gr

Sep 7, 2023
athens
Hello there , its the yellow 1m lcr 1.8 here
I had my car parked for 10 days due to a coolant leak. i fixed it my self by changing the radiator. Everything fine till here but...i use my car and the battery light comes on for a second a then it turns of. the car runs fine . also the battery is new and when i installed it i checked for parasitic drainage.. what do you think is the problem here??

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hello there , its the yellow 1m lcr 1.8 here
I had my car parked for 10 days due to a coolant leak. i fixed it my self by changing the radiator. Everything fine till here but...i use my car and the battery light comes on for a second a then it turns of. the car runs fine . also the battery is new and when i installed it i checked for parasitic drainage.. what do you think is the problem here??
I would not worry too much, as long as it does not stay on all the time, but stick a Multimeter on the battery when off charge and then again when the engine is running and get back with the results

Last edited:

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
Like radio said check the voltage especially when running ok if above 12.5 volts or round about and as long as the light goes out

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there.

I recently had to change my battery and I learned a few things. If you check your battery with a multimeter have this values in mind:
Engine OFF: if value shows 12.5V your battery is around 60% full. If 12.9V then is 100% full. (its not a exact science but it is close).
Engine IN: you must have above 13.9V until 14.4V - this is how you know your alternator is ok and charging your battery. If you get anything around 12V then your battery is not being juiced and soon you will get stopped by a drained battery.

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
Older cars can charge above 12 and a half volts and will be ok but more modern vehicles use smart charging which needs charging over 13v, check voltage at rear of alternator also which will make sure it’s not a wiring fault

YellowLcr.Gr

Sep 7, 2023
athens
guys , as far as i can tell everything is okay.maybe was a childish flu. the alternator game 14.5 volts and with the ignition off the battery levels idle at around 12.5-12.6v so i feel everything is okay.i will do a test again otr. thanks everyone for your time!!!

Reactions: Battoussai
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members