Battery replacement help! leon 2017 facelift DSG 2.0 Diesel 184BHP

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Anyone got any ideas which is the best battery replacement for my leon 2017 facelift DSG 2.0 Diesel 184BHP.

Had a look on euro car parts and there are a few different options and I cant figure out which one will fit. I have checked voltage and size of the current battery that is fitted and none of the sizes on euro match up near to it even though I have put in my car reg so should be specific to my car, not sure if im missing something? I cant even find the spec in the exact brand Varta which is the original battery in the car.

I was looking to get EXIDE brand but again there are multiple options all saying they are compatible with stop start systems.

Reason for replacement is the battery is on its way out, stop start hasn't been working for a while and car will go flat and wont start if not used for more than a day or 2.

Any help would be much appreciated!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My 2015 184 needed an AGM 096 battery. Presume yours will be the same.
I used an Bosch 0 092 S5 A 080 - which is exactly the same as the Varta - but for some reason it had a 5 year warranty vs 4 for the Varta.
Personally I found the battery online retailers generally cheaper than the car parts retailers.
Best to code your new battery to the car, which will need a diagnostic computer.

Reactions: jfellows10

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
My 2015 184 needed an AGM 096 battery. Presume yours will be the same.
I used an Bosch 0 092 S5 A 080 - which is exactly the same as the Varta - but for some reason it had a 5 year warranty vs 4 for the Varta.
Personally I found the battery online retailers generally cheaper than the car parts retailers.
Best to code your new battery to the car, which will need a diagnostic computer.
Just seems really confusing. I have found the Exide battery in 096 but then there is an EL700 and EL600 version of the 096.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just seems really confusing. I have found the Exide battery in 096 but then there is an EL700 and EL600 version of the 096.
They are both EFB - you don't want those.
You need AGM.
The Exide equivalent is EK700.
Just search 096 - and select the AGM filter.

Reactions: jfellows10

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
They are both EFB - you don't want those.
You need AGM.
The Exide equivalent is EK700.
Just search 096 - and select the AGM filter.
That’s great thank you!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
You'll only get 3 years warranty with the Exide vs 5 with the Bosch. Whether that warranty is actually worth while I have no idea. I suppose you can argue they have more confidence in the battery with 5 years vs 3?
By the way - the warranty is with the shop which sells you the battery - not the manufacturer.

I got mind last year and the Bosch was only £20 more than the Exide which is why I went for Bosch. I see the price is a fair bit higher now which might change the equation!

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I recently got the 'E39 Varta Start-Stop Plus 096 AGM Car Battery 12V 70Ah' for my 184FR, and then used OBDeleven to code it in. As it's a bit more than just unbolting the old battery and bolting in the new battery, From watching some YouTube videos and Googling, I made some comprehensive notes on what steps need performing. This was because I get a bit anxious when working on the car as I always think something's going to go wrong! Let me know if the instructions maybe of use to you.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
As above - I used Tanya and got a:
E39 Varta Start-Stop Plus 096 AGM Car Battery 12V 70Ah (570901076)

Basically the same as the original but the CCA value was a bit higher (not a bod thing). I didn't retain any power to the car when I swapped them over, so I did get a few dash lights but they go off once you drive it a bit.

I used Carista app and OBD dongle to re-code the battery.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise