Brake bulb light

Jul 26, 2023
Hi 2008 Alhambra On start up the brake bulb light comes on and goes off when I press the brake pedal - normal as far as I'm aware.
The problem is it comes on intermittently while driving usually as I brake or just after and will go out if I press the brake once again. The light just looks like a yellow light bulb. All lights are working and fluid is fine. One bulb was slightly blackened, I cleaned terminals and changed bulb but still no change

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Hi 2008 Alhambra On start up the brake bulb light comes on and goes off when I press the brake pedal - normal as far as I'm aware.
The problem is it comes on intermittently while driving usually as I brake or just after and will go out if I press the brake once again. The light just looks like a yellow light bulb. All lights are working and fluid is fine. One bulb was slightly blackened, I cleaned terminals and changed bulb but still no change
My Golf has been this way for around 100k miles.

IIRC, that light illuminates when the resistance in the lighting system isn't correct, even when a bulb is not burnt out.

I have had several wiring looms/harnesses/brackets where the bulbs click-in replaced due to this issue, but the yellow light bulb on the dash has never gone out ... the looms/brackets on all corners have corrosion in the terminals as it's a 2011. I also had a headlight levelling motor burn out as it was constantly on and I simply unplugged it (the plastic teeth in the gears obviously wore themselves out and I was afraid of getting a short).

I have given up and just accept it but seem to be going through quite a lot of headlight bulbs recently.

Reactions: gman129