Brake pad shims

Catzeye83

Jun 21, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi everyone, so I've had my Ibiza for about a week or so now and it was supplied to me with all new brakes all round, I noticed a clattering noise from the right hand side front when going over bumps, I've narrowed the noise down to it being and Ill fitting front brake pad, what I'm wanting to know is Can the brake calipers on a 1.2 TSI 110 on a 16 plate be fitted with anti rattle shims? Left hand side Is fine with very little play between the pad and pad holder were as right hand side one of the pads has about 5mm play up and down so is rattling about over bumps, thanks in advance for any help

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Nothing rings a bell with me, I took my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS brakes apart to clean them up last summer, do you know which brand of pads are fitted and if the vertical spring clip is fitted to both callipers?

Do you know if your Ibiza has "proper" front brake callipers or Mando, there was a shift to Mando after my wife's car was built so luckily we avoided getting a car with that crap/cheap Eastern brake stuff on it.

Reactions: Catzeye83

Catzeye83

Jun 21, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nothing rings a bell with me, I took my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS brakes apart to clean them up last summer, do you know which brand of pads are fitted and if the vertical spring clip is fitted to both callipers?

Do you know if your Ibiza has "proper" front brake callipers or Mando, there was a shift to Mando after my wife's car was built so luckily we avoided getting a car with that crap/cheap Eastern brake stuff on it.
Hiya, just to add to this the garage I bought from has recently fitted different pads and the rattle has gone, turns out it was the cheap naff pads they had used, how do I tell which brakes it has on? Cheers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you look up suppliers of brake parts web cats, they usually indicate who the original maker of callipers is for any given car. Originally these cars would have had either ATE sometimes called Teves as ATE = Alfred Teves, or Girling/Lucas but now called TRW callipers. Mando came along after a certain date as it looks like VW Group can source them very very cheaply, which is good for no one other than VW Group and the group Mando is part of.

Reactions: Catzeye83
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.