Burned rubber/plastic smell after a drive

Sep 5, 2022
Hi all, got a weird smell coming from the engine bay, cant smell it from inside when driving or when stationary after a drive. Car 2016 Leon Fr 2.0TDI (184).

Only way of actually smelling it is from the outside, not the tyres for sure as it's infrequent, and i drive the same way all the time when commuting (grandma style). Can't really say when exactly its smells, today it started to smell after a drive from work, car was completing regen as rpm was 1k constant with radiator fan running.

Any similar cases or advise what to check ? Car got another month of warranty left, want to sort thing out if it is serious.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hi all, got a weird smell coming from the engine bay, cant smell it from inside when driving or when stationary after a drive. Car 2016 Leon Fr 2.0TDI (184).

Only way of actually smelling it is from the outside, not the tyres for sure as it's infrequent, and i drive the same way all the time when commuting (grandma style). Can't really say when exactly its smells, today it started to smell after a drive from work, car was completing regen as rpm was 1k constant with radiator fan running.

Any similar cases or advise what to check ? Car got another month of warranty left, want to sort thing out if it is serious.
Possible the regen was the smell ?

Sep 5, 2022
Possible the regen was the smell ?
Don't know, i would say it would be then at the exhaust rather than the engine bay, smell comes from passenger side (UK) more than driver side. And smells more rubbery than plastic to be honest, i would expect more coal or burned oil smell from regen no ?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@P4ndem1c - Check the underside of your car in case you’ve picked up a plastic carrier bag that’s melted onto the exhaust. I’ve seen this mentioned on a few forums before.

Sep 5, 2022
@P4ndem1c - Check the underside of your car in case you’ve picked up a plastic carrier bag that’s melted onto the exhaust. I’ve seen this mentioned on a few forums before.
Nope, that was a first thought to do. All clear there, smell come around driver side wheel arch, no sings of uneven ruber wear as as mentioned happens randomly so not the driver problem

Sep 5, 2022
Yeah horrible smell

My exhaust also makes a lot of tinging sounds like metal expanding [probs from the heat involved in burning off the soot]
Yup, get those as well, hopefully this is the smell, it's just weird that i cant smell it from inside but just in one specific place on the outside

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Definitely will be a regen. The DPF/exhaust gets to over 600c and I've always thought the rubber burning smell must be from an rubber exhaust hanger.

Reactions: P4ndem1c
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.