Car shuts off with huge judder

Nov 5, 2022
Hi have an 07 pd170. I had and still have an oil leak on the intake manifold. Changed the gasket and leak still persists. After replacing the gasket, my Leon now turns off with a huge judder.
What are possible causes of this please? Oil change every 6 months, RAM air filter was cleaned a couple of months ago. No fault codes on Carista.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
There is an anti shudder valve on most diesel engines, looks similar to a throttle body on a petrol car.

Has the connector come unplugged when you changed the inlet manifold?

Last edited:

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Yeah because it's a diesel you need to kill the air and fuel to stop the engine smoothly. There's probably timing involved as well...

Nov 5, 2022
There is an anti shudder valve on most diesel engines, looks similar to a throttle body on a petrol car.

Has the connector come unplugged when you changed the inlet manifold?
Hi, I think it's to do with the inlet manifold flap solenoid on the left of the ASV. There's no vacuum line(s) coming from it...not sure where they attach to. Any ideas?
Screenshot_20230614-231942.png

Luke this eBay pic. I don't have that hose and not sure where it goes...
Screenshot_20230614-232212.png

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Inked20230615_061039_LI.jpg

It should be set up as pictured. When the swirl flap actuator is removed you just block off the pipe as done by the bottom arrow. However as yours doesn't have either of the pipes, I'd b tempted to see if yours has been blocked off closer to the top arrow. If it has then I'm not sure that would cause the issue you are having

Reactions: mty12345
Nov 5, 2022
View attachment 37106
It should be set up as pictured. When the swirl flap actuator is removed you just block off the pipe as done by the bottom arrow. However as yours doesn't have either of the pipes, I'd b tempted to see if yours has been blocked off closer to the top arrow. If it has then I'm not sure that would cause the issue you are having
Wow that's a nice clean engine bay compared to mine! I've got EGR blocked, would that be a reason I don't have those hoses at all?

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Those hoses don't relate to the EGR, certainly not the ones indicated by the arrows. Has your hose been blocked off closer to the top arrow? Also, I see a question earlier on in this thread from mty12345 about your ASV plug. Have you got the connector plugged in that is slightly above the dipstick in my picture? It's the grey one going in to the black unit on the ASV (circled in blue)
bhy02j1n.png

Reactions: mty12345
Nov 5, 2022
Ignore that, the plug you should be looking at is the one just above the green hose at the lower of the picture
PXL_20230507_202106707.jpg

Yeah connector is in. When I take it out then put the plug back there's a relatively loud buzzing noise coming from it, normal?
And yeah it looks like the vacuum hose has been blocked off.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
I dont know if its normal. It could either be the valve just powering up or maybe the valve is stuck and the buzzing was the motor not being able to move it. Best bet might be to take the valve off and seeing if it functions by hand

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.