crinkling/crackling noise from the windshield

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
This is pretty much copy/paste post from MK3 section in 2018. I couldn't get in touch with the person who posted it so I'm reposting it here for my MK2.

I noticed the other day a strange crinkling/crackling noise coming somewhere from the windshield. It's only there above 50-60km/h and it sounds somewhere between light raindrops falling on the windshield and ice breaking. It's constant no matter if the car is cold or not and persistent on speeds above mentioned 50-60km/h. At first, I thought there was something stuck in that plastic beneath the wipers (there where a bunch of leaves there) and scratching the plastic does produce a similar noise - but even after cleaning everything (including leaves under the bonnet) - the noise is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
That's an excellent description of the noise. My 2018 MkIII FR makes the same noise above about 40mph (64kph).

I have no idea of the cause & I'm also looking for a cure.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Me neither. My current theory is that I somehow messed up the windshield glue or something around it. Last winter I warmed up the car and then, when the engine got warm enough, I turned on the heating fan to defrost the windshield. I almost never drive during the winter so last year was the first for me.

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
It interesting that in 2018 there was a same thread in MK3 and they too didn't figure out what was going on. It's kind of odd very few people develop this problem and that Seat has no idea what is going on.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Leaves in the heater air intake? There's a filter that stops anything like that getting out once in....

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I dunno. You can see the stress in glass if you use a polariser, polarised sunglasses for example. Maybe if it not glued evenly you might see the changes in patten. It's a long shot perhaps

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.