Fuel Smell inside of the car

Dominic256

May 3, 2023
Good Evening.

I've noticed that when i turn on the heating i can smell diesel inside of the car, after looking under the car i've noticed that the fuel is dripping down the gearbox bracket. anyone has any idea what it might be as i don't think there is a fuel line on gearbox side of the car? Strange is that the drivers side was lower than the passenger side as i've parked my car on the curb and it was still dripping down in the same place.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Good Evening.

I've noticed that when i turn on the heating i can smell diesel inside of the car, after looking under the car i've noticed that the fuel is dripping down the gearbox bracket. anyone has any idea what it might be as i don't think there is a fuel line on gearbox side of the car? Strange is that the drivers side was lower than the passenger side as i've parked my car on the curb and it was still dripping down in the same place.

On the ARL (PD150) engine, the flexible fuel hoses connect to hard lines that go across the front of the engine towards the gearbox side. There, they connect to more flexible fuel hoses that lead to the tandem pump. Those hoses are directly above the gearbox and are known to perish over time.

I replaced mine last year with normal Halfords 5/16" fuel hose. The OEM ones are pre-shaped and standard hose will kink if you try to shape it the same way, so you have to get creative by using longer pieces of hose and looping them into a spiral shape. You can also use jubilee clips instead of the spring clips that came on the car.

ebc13c9336c2789afa6e28c00e2c4195.jpg

It's also possible that your tandem pump (top left of that photo) could be leaking. You can buy new or you can rebuild and reseal the old one. There are a couple of different types though and I think there were even different ones depending on the year of the car, as well as which engine you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mty12345

Dominic256

May 3, 2023
On the ARL (PD150) engine, the flexible fuel hoses connect to hard lines that go across the front of the engine towards the gearbox side. There, they connect to more flexible fuel hoses that lead to the tandem pump. Those hoses are directly above the gearbox and are known to perish over time.

I replaced mine last year with normal Halfords 5/16" fuel hose. The OEM ones are pre-shaped and standard hose will kink if you try to shape it the same way, so you have to get creative by using longer pieces of hose and looping them into a spiral shape. You can also use jubilee clips instead of the spring clips that came on the car.

ebc13c9336c2789afa6e28c00e2c4195.jpg

It's also possible that your tandem pump (top left of that photo) could be leaking. You can buy new or you can rebuild and reseal the old one. There are a couple of different types though and I think there were even different ones depending on the year of the car, as well as which engine you have.

I had a quick look yesterday after work and both of them fuel lines going to tandem pump are fine. im picking up jack from euro today so i can have look under the engine. hopefully it is only one of the lines not the tandem pump.

Reactions: iammooks

Dominic256

May 3, 2023
Hi, i found where the leak is coming from it is from tandem pump. I've ordered whole gasket kit so i can rebuild it. Is there anything i need to know before i take it off from the car? or after i put it back on the car?. thanks for any info.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hi, i found where the leak is coming from it is from tandem pump. I've ordered whole gasket kit so i can rebuild it. Is there anything i need to know before i take it off from the car? or after i put it back on the car?. thanks for any info.

It's not a job I've done myself, but the one thing I do on every job is just make sure I've got all the tools I need in advance so there's no bodging. I think the tandem pump is held on with some big torx screws, so just make sure you've got the right size.

There are lots of videos on YouTube, for lots of different types of pump, but if you watch a few, you'll get an idea of what you're supposed to be looking for.

Only other thing I can suggest is try to limit fluid loss with clamps or just lots of paper towels - and take your time, remembering where everything goes.

Post some updates here if you can - it's not a job I've known anyone here to have done, so it'll be good to hear how straightforward it is (or not).

Dominic256

May 3, 2023
Hi all, I found what was the problem, at the beggining i though it was one of the rubber seals on tandem pump that was leaking but turns out it was the thread in the engine where the m6 bolt goes was broken and only 3 out of 4 screw were holding the pump. I bought m6 helicoil thread repair kit and after like an 15min fighting with drilling it i managed to fix it.

I have to admit that taking off the fuel lines is a PIA, I reccomend taking off the lines from aluminium fuel line than from the tandem pump.(photo attached)

+ second thing if you have the same issue as i had make sure you drain the coolant from the car, after that you need to get rid of the coolant pipe that is under the tandem pump ( the one where is temp sensor, photo attached). if you won't do it and you will start drilling drill will be on 2-3 degree angle and you will have issues tightening the m6 screw. also take out the air filter housing and put the car in 6 gear so there is enough space to fit the drill.

+ third thing make sure you get yourself torque wrench m6 screws require 10Nm m8 20Nm.

Good luck.

Attachments

• fuel lines.png
    fuel lines.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 3074732473_eb2199e93e.jpg
    3074732473_eb2199e93e.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 67

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The idea of taking a drill anywhere near my block scares the hell out of me - you're braver than I am, that's for sure.

How do you think that happened? I've never heard of screws like that shearing on their own.

Dominic256

May 3, 2023
I believe it happened after i had my camshaft replaced, propably my mechanic had to take off tandem pump to replace it but i might be wrong.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise