Haris’s Leon Cupra 280

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Thought I’d start my own Readers Rides. It’s about time. It’s a 15-reg Leon Cupra 280 DSG, 5-door in Dynamic Grey. Bought the car in January 2022. It has heated bucket seats, no sunroof though. Mods so far (kind of in order):
  • Rear wiper delete (previous to my ownership)
  • Painted engine cover with CUPRA logo (had VW logo when I bought it)
  • Dynamic wing mirror indicators
  • White LED reverse bulb
  • Leon Cupra footrest
  • Stage 1 ECU remap from Quantum
  • Powerflex bushes
  • Powerflex dogbone mount insert
  • Removed rear window side spoilers
  • Rear light stealth overlays (EZM)
  • Airbag sticker deletes (EZM)
  • APR air intake filter
  • Ramair intake hose
  • Ramair turbo inlet elbow
  • Rear number plate panel painted body colour
  • Boot soundproofed
  • Double res delete (backbox still present)
  • 19 inch stock alloys swapped for 18 inch VW Cadiz alloys on 225/40R18
  • Front Seat and Cupra badges painted
That’s it at the moment. I’ll keep updating this thread as things go on!

IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

IMG_2506.jpeg
IMG_5445.jpeg
IMG_3051.jpeg

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Nice 280, love what you've done with colour coding the rear, certainly very different! Makes the colour of rear lights really pop. 😊

Since you've removed them, would you consider selling the rear window side spoilers to me? 😝

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Removed the stage 1 ECU remap due to jerky gear changes, non-linear power delivery and intense regenerative braking when lifting off. Much better with stock now.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
That's interesting, I didn't think any of the Leon 5F's had Regenerative braking... Sounds more like engine braking, maybe because the remap screwed with the VVT (perhaps exhaust valve timing was over retarded?).

Now you mention it; my Stage 2 remap does cause jerky gear changes in some situations, but only when accelerating hard at low revs 🤔 (I know I shouldn't do that, sometimes the gearbox doesn't want to change down). Everything else is fine though. Should probably try getting it remapped elsewhere.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
That's interesting, I didn't think any of the Leon 5F's had Regenerative braking... Sounds more like engine braking, maybe because the remap screwed with the VVT (perhaps exhaust valve timing was over retarded?).

Now you mention it; my Stage 2 remap does cause jerky gear changes in some situations, but only when accelerating hard at low revs 🤔 (I know I shouldn't do that, sometimes the gearbox doesn't want to change down). Everything else is fine though. Should probably try getting it remapped elsewhere.
Yeah, that’s what I meant. Engine braking was quite harsh and noticeable, to the point where I’d floor it for fun, then release the throttle and the car would jerk afterwards… The revs would drop soon as I’d take my foot off the throttle, whereas now the revs seem to hold when I take my foot off the throttle, then decrease ever so slowly, which is better for driving. Yes, brakes will get used more, but I feel more in control, and the driving’s smoother. mpgs are better now too

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
That’s a very tidy looking car - love it! I actually REALLY like the rear plate area being body coloured… I’m definitely going to get that done on mine now having seen yours, the off-black matte plastic has always looked janky to me.

Regarding the map - who did it? Sounds like they’ve not done a great job, as on mine when I lift off (ok it’s not a petrol though), it basically just coasts/engine brakes naturally- no judder at all

Reactions: H Rafiq

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
That’s a very tidy looking car - love it! I actually REALLY like the rear plate area being body coloured… I’m definitely going to get that done on mine now having seen yours, the off-black matte plastic has always looked janky to me.

Regarding the map - who did it? Sounds like they’ve not done a great job, as on mine when I lift off (ok it’s not a petrol though), it basically just coasts/engine brakes naturally- no judder at all
It was a local place to me in Newcastle-under-Lyme. The map was a Quantum map, supposedly.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
It was a local place to me in Newcastle-under-Lyme. The map was a Quantum map, supposedly.
Afaik they’re just a generic map reseller - I wouldn’t personally touch them with a barge pole!

You’re not far from me (I’m Stafford)… why not give Midland VW a shout (they do racingline, revo and ecotune maps/hardware)? Or More-BHP in Crewe, they can’t be more than 30 mins from you, and will dyno it for proper before/after results

The behaviour you’re describing definitely isn’t right. If it drives better at stock they’ve cocked their map up!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Afaik they’re just a generic map reseller - I wouldn’t personally touch them with a barge pole!

You’re not far from me (I’m Stafford)… why not give Midland VW a shout (they do racingline, revo and ecotune maps/hardware)? Or More-BHP in Crewe, they can’t be more than 30 mins from you, and will dyno it for proper before/after results

The behaviour you’re describing definitely isn’t right. If it drives better at stock they’ve cocked their map up!
Yeah, it’s much better now. I’m just happy without the map at the moment.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Soundproofed the rear bench too. Boot was already done. Difficult parts were the spaces around the seat belt clips. Thought about leaving those at first, then decided do em anyway seen as the bench was off.
IMG_0750.jpeg
IMG_0751.jpeg

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Gutted out the side the air filter (as best I could with a drill), and blocked off the engine side. Hopefully it holds. I know there’s an OEM part (MQB rear blanking plate - 5Q0129849), but thought I’d have a go myself.
IMG_0764.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg
IMG_0766.jpeg
IMG_0767.jpeg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.