Has anyone gone for sports cat and GPF delete on a Cupra 300? Opinions needed

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
Hi,

I've just gone stage 1+ with my GPF equipped Cupra 300 ST.

I've had R600, Milltek Cat back system (resonated), APR intercooler plus remap.

I'm looking at removing the GPF and going for the Milltek sports cat dowpipe and having the map tweaked.

Has anyone done the GPF delete and if so what were the noise levels like afterwards? I'm 51 so I'm well past all the boy racer stuff. I like the fact the car is currently quiet and "under the radar". Nobody expects it to be quick, so it's a great sleeper. A big loud exhaust sound would lose that.

I'd like the extra power of the GPF delete, but if it makes the car noisy it's probably not worth it.

Any opinions gratefully received.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’m like you. I love the sleeper vibe. My car is all go and no show. Stage 1 Leon Cupra 280 with Ramair intake system and APR open air filter.

If you change the exhaust it definitely won’t be a sleeper anymore. A GPF delete shouldn’t make it any louder, cuz the car still has a resonator, right?

Reactions: Butty

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Personally I like the stock 290, it's got a bit of a burble and a growl when you rev it, but it's not daft like the usual M140i crowd.
I'm 50, so like it subtle and under the radar, but if you like that why not.

Just be wary if you do lots of motorway cruising, it might make it drone a bit.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Wouldn’t a GPF delete throw up warning lights on the instrument display, result in an MOT fail and also have insurance implications (invalidate the policy)?

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
I’m like you. I love the sleeper vibe. My car is all go and no show. Stage 1 Leon Cupra 280 with Ramair intake system and APR open air filter.

If you change the exhaust it definitely won’t be a sleeper anymore. A GPF delete shouldn’t make it any louder, cuz the car still has a resonator, right?
Yes that's what I'm worried about, making it into something that you can hear coming from a mile away. With the cat back (Milltek) it's actually no louder than standard really, which is good, and yes it is resonated. I wouldn't fully decat though. I'd go for a catted downpipe with GPF delete. I did get told that the GPF does make them quiet so removing it will make it noisy but I'm not sure how true that is.

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
Personally I like the stock 290, it's got a bit of a burble and a growl when you rev it, but it's not daft like the usual M140i crowd.
I'm 50, so like it subtle and under the radar, but if you like that why not.

Just be wary if you do lots of motorway cruising, it might make it drone a bit.
Mine's currently at 380bhp and 385lbsft which is much quicker than it was standard. It's had the TCU remap too so it feels like it's in sport even when it's in comfort, it's just "ready to go" constantly.

I've got the resonated cat back system so it's really good on the motorway for noise. Basically no different to OEM. But I wonder whether the GPF removal will make it droney (possibly). I'm just itching for more power and the GPF is strangling it.

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
Wouldn’t a GPF delete throw up warning lights on the instrument display, result in an MOT fail and also have insurance implications (invalidate the policy)?
Yes it will throw up a CEL, but you can map that out. It will not affect the MOT from an emissions point of view as long as you still have a CAT but it will fail the MOT if it "looks" like the GPF is removed. In other words if it's obviously been bypassed, it's a fail, but if you opened it, gutted it and rewelded it to factory standard it would pass (got that from and MOT tester). In terms of insurance it would only invalidate it if you didn't declare it, but that is the same for any mod. If you have a crash, they aren't really likely to start cutting open your exhaust to see if the GPF is there.

Reactions: Gary-182 and Butty

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Yes that's what I'm worried about, making it into something that you can hear coming from a mile away. With the cat back (Milltek) it's actually no louder than standard really, which is good, and yes it is resonated. I wouldn't fully decat though. I'd go for a catted downpipe with GPF delete. I did get told that the GPF does make them quiet so removing it will make it noisy but I'm not sure how true that is.
I think try the GPF delete, but leave the exhaust stock. Upgraded exhaust screams “modded” imo. What about an upgraded intercooler? Check this out for a GPF delete vs stock comparison:

I can’t tell that much of a difference to be honest but there’ll be a decent change in power I’d have thought.

Reactions: Black300ST

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
I think try the GPF delete, but leave the exhaust stock. Upgraded exhaust screams “modded” imo. What about an upgraded intercooler? Check this out for a GPF delete vs stock comparison:

I can’t tell that much of a difference to be honest but there’ll be a decent change in power I’d have thought.
Yes I've already got the APR intercooler. I also went for the Milltek oval tailpipe exhaust which virtually looks stock. They are just slightly bigger tailpipes than OEM.

Last edited:

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Yes I've already got the APR intercooler. I also went for the Milltek oval tailpipe exhaust which virtually looks stock. They are just slightly bigger than OEM.
Are they black tips? They look 👌🏼, especially on a black car. I’d say go for a GPF delete.

Black300ST

Nov 16, 2022
Are they black tips? They look 👌🏼, especially on a black car. I’d say go for a GPF delete.
No. I thought about the black ones but then that DOES look "non stock" :ROFLMAO:. So I opted for the silver even though the black would have been cooler on a black car.

Yes I think the GPF delete is an option. i'm just worried about the MOT implications. If they see it has been removed it's an instant fail. I might see if i can get something made custom that looks like a GPF but is a straight through pipe.

Reactions: H Rafiq

Cupra Ultimate

Dec 15, 2016
I just got under my cupra 290 gpf a 3.5 inch downpipe with a 200 cell sportcat and a zaustworx resonator delete pipe.
i can say its not a sleeper anymore.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
Yes it will throw up a CEL, but you can map that out. It will not affect the MOT from an emissions point of view as long as you still have a CAT but it will fail the MOT if it "looks" like the GPF is removed. In other words if it's obviously been bypassed, it's a fail, but if you opened it, gutted it and rewelded it to factory standard it would pass (got that from and MOT tester). In terms of insurance it would only invalidate it if you didn't declare it, but that is the same for any mod. If you have a crash, they aren't really likely to start cutting open your exhaust to see if the GPF is there.
Never looked at a GPF, but I expect an insurance investigator could tell in 2 minutes if one had been cut open and welded. They probably wouldn't bother for medium claims, but a total loss costing them many thousands might be different.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.