Hybrid Sport/Cupra Mode Aggresive Regenerative Braking

Mar 15, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Australia and overall enjoying my Formentor VZe. I'm hoping that somone knows how to resolve the one major issue that really frustrates me that I didn't pick up during my original test drive.

In Sport or Cupra mode, the car has really aggressive regenetrative cruise braking. If I put my foot slightly off the accelerator it starts braking right away, like a one-pedal driving mode. It's super aggresive and makes me less likely to pick the Sport/Cruise modes which is half the fun of this car.

Has anyone figured out how to calm down the regen system?

I searched this forum and found one thread from the 2020+ Leons, that says it could be software bug and you can disable it by starting the car in Sport mode. But my car always starts in Comfort mode no matter what, which my dealer said is PHEV requirement in the EU.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Hello,

Since 1940+ firmware the car ( phev here) starts in what ever mode I left it in. So make sure you are all updated etc

The other thing about regen specifically you can turn it down in the battery management screen from high to low, but you may find it's not the regen on its own, the low appetite to roll is by design.

Mar 8, 2024
Hi Boffin, I like you felt this was a real annoyance. However i have spent 2 weeks driving it in the most aggressive regen. When i switch it off now i dont like it. In Cupra mode The harder I drive the more power it puts back into the EV, obviously you loose out on MPGs but for fun and free charge seems a win win. Its like the Cupra saying thank you for not driving it like an Eco Warrior 100% of the time.

I have found if you lift off the accelerator pedal but not all the way it wont brake as hard, ive got used to it now and have to say ive gone from hating to loving and use it all the time

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024
I have found if you lift off the brake but not all the way it wont brake as hard, ive got used to it now and have to say ive gone from hating to loving and use it all the time

No brake pedal involved in my annoyance. Just put your foot off the accelerator and you're ~50% braking like a one-pedal drive car.

My firmware version is below 1940. So will need to get that checked.

Changing battery management regen options does not seem to make an impact in sport/cupra mode. It feels like it's stuck on High no matter what you choose.

Mar 8, 2024
Apologies, I meant the accelerator :doh: . Lifting off the accelerator gently and not all the way will provide the same feel as before but you have to feather it, for the full regen lift off all the way. It does take time to adjust.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
There's a setting in the Infotainment, can't remember to set regen to High, Low or Auto.

Using High will also mean your rear discs will corrode throguh lack of use, though possibly not a problem Down Under (unless you're in the Tropics)....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.