Installing a towbar/hitch

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi!

I just mounted a towbar on my 2015 Leon ST TDI150 4DRIVE FR.
Prior to install i searched the net to find videos and pics, just to get the idea of the amount of work, but there was hardly nothing to be found..

I bought a Westfalia fixed model. My car had preparation from factory, wich means a box inside the lining of the left side luggage compartment.

I also bought a seat original cable for the trailer lights.

There are 23 screws in total (T20, 25 and 30, two philips) that needs to be undone to remove the rear bumper. Dont forget the connector for parking assistance and license plate lights. 4 screws behind the outer rear lights, 2 each side.

Once the bumper is removed, you need to remove the chrashbar. 3-4 bolts on each side. 13mm.

Slide in the towbar where the chrashbar were mounted.
Its mounted with two bolts on each side.
Right hand side is no problem. On the left side you need to loosen the last bracket for the exhaust, and remove the heatshield to see the holes for the bolts.

Once bolted in to place, its time to measure and cut the hole in the bumper.

Depending on if your car has preparation or not, its time to wire the electrics. As mine had it, ill describe it. If you buy a universal cable or dont have preparation, its a whole other story (and far more advanced).
I simply removed the linning on left side in the luggage and I could see the control module for the electrics and also the earth point. Simply connect it all.

The wires go out behind left side rear light. There you have a painted plug, toss it. Run the cable down to the hitch/hook. Secure it.
Mount the bumper.
Complete final assembly, hook, holder for the trailerconnector. Hey presto youre done =)

Saved me a lot of money to do it myself, and it wasnt really hard at all, just take your time and have a friend in place to help you hold stuff.
Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• DSC_2308.jpg
    DSC_2308.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 113
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members