Is stop start linked to climatronic settings?

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
As per title, wondering if the stop start system is in any way linked to the heater/aircon climatronic settings on the Toledo? It's a 2014/14 plate
1.2 SE Nav with the auto climate system as in the photo. It seems that if the climatronic is completely off, and the display is therefore off, the stop start works each and every time. If the climatronic is on, then stop start more often than not doesn't work. And if it cuts out with the climatronic display off, and the climatronic is switched on, the engine restarts instantly. Wondering if this is normal, and if so is there any way to prevent the stop start from not working.

I do NOT want to disable the stop start system, and sorry I don't have a handbook for reference.

Thanks in advance
20230527_130835.jpg

Last edited:

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I have the same car as you, and I've been driving a lot this week with climatronic / AC on all the time (on auto) and the engine has cut out at every standstill.

As you know, there are loads of different parameters the stop start uses, and I've given up trying to understand the behaviour of the system! Is it the same with the climatronic on but AC turned off? I expect there's another parameter at play; maybe the climatronic temperature? Mine is set at 20 degrees.

From VW Vortex (not specifically Seat but all part of the VAG group):

Requirements for the engine to automatically switch off:
The driver must be wearing their seat belt.
The driver door must be closed.
The engine hood must be closed.
The engine must have reached minimum operating temperature.
For vehicles with Climatronic: the temperature inside the vehicle must be within the pre-set temperature range and the humidity must not be too high.
The windshield defrost function must not be switched on.
The vehicle battery must be sufficiently charged.
The vehicle battery temperature must not be too low or too high.
The vehicle must not be on a steep incline.
The vehicle must not be in reverse gear.
The vehicle must not be in off -road mode.

Next time mine refuses to cut out I'll turn off the climatronic and see what happens.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Thanks for the reply - no, it doesn't matter whether the AC is switched on or off. I'm wondering, having seen your reply, whether it is because of some temperature difference inside and outside the car. In fairness I tend to only use the AC to bring the temperature down initially and then open the windows. I'm not a lover of aircon myself, I prefer fresh moving air from outside - and really, really moan about the lack of a sunroof!..... All other perameters seems to be OK, battery fully charged etc

Thanks for the reply - no, it doesn't matter whether the AC is switched on or off. I'm wondering, having seen your reply, whether it is because of some temperature difference inside and outside the car. In fairness I tend to only use the AC to bring the temperature down initially and then open the windows. I'm not a lover of aircon myself, I prefer fresh moving air from outside - and really, really moan about the lack of a sunroof!..... All other perameters seems to be OK, battery fully charged etc
If the temperature is set to 20°c for example and the interior temperature is 25°c then yes this should prevent start stop from operating

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The first 6 months I had the AC mostly set to windscreen, and that kills the stop start as shown above.

The list of factors effecting stopstart is in the Skoda Rapid manual but not the SEAT Toledo version.

For all the stopstart naysayers...
It saves me 6% of fuel costs doing mixed B road / A road / Town 50 mile round trip commute.
In 10 years neither the Battery nor Starter Motor have worn out.
Yes, its best turned off at difficult T-Junction exits.
But really its a good thing.

Last edited:

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
The first 6 months I had the AC mostly set to windscreen, and that kills the stop start as shown above.

The list of factors effecting stopstart is in the Skoda Rapid manual but not the SEAT Toledo version.

For all the stopstart naysayers...
It saves me 6% of fuel costs doing mixed B road / A road / Town 50 mile round trip commute.
In 10 years neither the Battery nor Starter Motor have worn out.
Yes, its best turned off at difficult T-Junction exits.
But really its a good thing.
Thanks, agree totally. Easiest answer to this question would be to switch it off or disable it then it's not an issue. But that's not what I want at all 😊. I must admit it is a bit flaky on the petrol Toledo, but works every single time on the diesel Leon, apart from whilst it's doing a DPF regen, and I'm certain it does save me money

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks, agree totally. Easiest answer to this question would be to switch it off or disable it then it's not an issue. But that's not what I want at all 😊. I must admit it is a bit flaky on the petrol Toledo, but works every single time on the diesel Leon, apart from whilst it's doing a DPF regen, and I'm certain it does save me money

Hi. I havent looked for SEAT yet, but here is a link to the May 2014 Skoda Rapid Manual

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
SEAT Manual link 2014

Reactions: LeylandVCDS
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise