Leon MK3 ST hub removal question

RobertJames81

Oct 10, 2019
Hello all,
Is it possible to remove the rear discs and hub without removing the calliper carrier bolts? I tried to get a breaker bar under it as it was lifted on jacks but to be honest couldn’t get enough clearance. I could take it to a rent a lift but thought I would ask here first. I believe I was able
to do it on my old mk2 Leon.
Thanks 😊

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hello all,
Is it possible to remove the rear discs and hub without removing the calliper carrier bolts? I tried to get a breaker bar under it as it was lifted on jacks but to be honest couldn’t get enough clearance. I could take it to a rent a lift but thought I would ask here first. I believe I was able
to do it on my old mk2 Leon.
Thanks 😊
Depends on the disc diameter and height. I'm sure on the my 184tdi 272mm rear disc you wouldn't be able to - whether you can on the smaller disc options I don't know?

I could just about on my Audi A4 B6 - which had small 245x40 rear discs. The rear discs on the Leon are either 253x51or 272x48

Some caliper carrier bolts can be a pain to remove - very tight bolts with limited access on axle stands. I usually try various combinations of extensions bars/ratchets, sometimes a ratchet with pipe can help - as the ratchet gives you finer control of degrees angle.

RobertJames81

Oct 10, 2019
They are 253. Fingers crossed then 😊 I would of tried but the disc carrier screw sheared off and I didn’t have a replacement and didn’t want to risk not putting one on as it’s my daily drive.
I will report back for others looking in the future.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Will be interesting to know.

What do you mean by the disc carrier screw?
you mean the little screw which stops the disc falling on your foot?
which screw from this drawing?
1683635272635.png

RobertJames81

Oct 10, 2019
Haha yes the screw that stops it dropping on your foot.
Or in my case not matter which car I have - the screw that always rounds - got to stop buying such high mileage cars 😝

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Haha yes the screw that stops it dropping on your foot.
Or in my case not matter which car I have - the screw that always rounds - got to stop buying such high mileage cars 😝
That small screw has no structural function in holding the disc.
The wheel bolts clamp the brake discs between the hub and wheel creating huge friction and its this friction which holds the disc.
This small screw is only there hold the disc while the caliper is off (stop it falling on your foot!), and to enable easier wheel bolt alignment.
If you 'bugger up' this screw and don't have a replacement to hand there would be no problem carrying on and fitting one at a later date. Having said that most premium disc suppliers include these small screws.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Just did this on mk7 golf with 272 rear discs as one of the carrier bolts at the back was seized so if same size should be able slide out and put new one on.

Reactions: SuperV8

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There used to a "craze/trend" for folk that worked on their car brakes, to buy in stainless steel equivalent screws to avoid that issue - I confess to having done that on both our first VW Group cars - but as I tend to clean-up/service the brakes every year initially and as time goes on, every year at wheel changing time, I've never ever found these original factory fitted screws to too tricky to get out.

Edit:- that is the disc retaining screws that I'm referring to! Some VW Group cars did not have a hole in the front hubs, at least, for a disc retaining screw, that is where/when the M14 plastic threaded dowel pin came in handy to keep the disc lined up with the holes in the hub when refitting the wheels.

Last edited:

RobertJames81

Oct 10, 2019
Hi all, thanks for you replies. I am aware that it’s a holding screw but it is important to align the holes for the wheel bolts. I wasn’t in a rush. I’m tackling it this afternoon so will report back with pictures.
I did just see a very clever hack on YouTube that uses a car Jack to take off the carrier bolts and i might just see if that works -purely out of interest.
Link to YouTube is here:
Will feedback none the less.

RobertJames81

Oct 10, 2019
Hi all, yes I was able to slide the disc off very easily. Quickly tried the Jack trick and it did budge the carrier bolt 👍

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all, thanks for you replies. I am aware that it’s a holding screw but it is important to align the holes for the wheel bolts. I wasn’t in a rush. I’m tackling it this afternoon so will report back with pictures.
I did just see a very clever hack on YouTube that uses a car Jack to take off the carrier bolts and i might just see if that works -purely out of interest.
Link to YouTube is here:
Will feedback none the less.
I would only resort to this hack if I had access to get the socket/spanner horizontally - so the jack is pushing at 90 degrees.
Might work on the RH side - but imaging the LH side access is more tricky having to do it from the front.

These bolts have a very high torque spec when you do them up:
90Nm + 90degrees!
You will never do this with a ratchet or spanner - so I think the real answer is just getting the car higher so you can use a long lever + torque wrench.

Reactions: RUM4MO

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all, yes I was able to slide the disc off very easily. Quickly tried the Jack trick and it did budge the carrier bolt 👍
Good to know about being able to remove the disc with the caliper carrier in place.

A critical task when doing a brake job is cleaning the carrier - the points where the pad slides. This is much easier with the carrier on a bench. I recommend trial fitting the pads in the carrier to ensure they slide in and out smoothly by hand.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.