Low washer fluid and 1st gear problem

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
Hi everyone,

I got my Leon 1.5 TSI with manual gearbox and im having troubles with my car.

The first thing is I ran out of washer fluid, but no notification is displayed on the virtual cockpit.

The second issue is the problem with the first gear / reverse gear that does not engage sometimes. The only thing that helps in this situation is pressing the clutch again.

Have any of you had such problems? Should I report this to the dealer?

I will be grateful for any response.

Wysłane z mojego M2012K11AG przy użyciu Tapatalka

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would report the gearbox issue for sure

The low washer level you might not have that. Most Seats don't get that option

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
I would report the gearbox issue for sure

The low washer level you might not have that. Most Seats don't get that option
Oh, I wouldn't have thought that a new car might not have a washer fluid level sensor. I will check that later in my manual.
Thanks for response

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Oh, I wouldn't have thought that a new car might not have a washer fluid level sensor. I will check that later in my manual.
Thanks for response

It's sometime part of a pack such as winter pack so likes of heated washer jets and low level sensor. Something like that

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
It's sometime part of a pack such as winter pack so likes of heated washer jets and low level sensor. Something like that
Well it seems that I have winter pack but it only include heated seats and heated steering wheel.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
This time of year I check/ top up washer fluid as part of the weekly check, some weeks very little used, others a kettle full!, if the light comes on when away from home or access to water, it’s too late.
My other car has headlight washers so uses quite a lot and checking stuff becomes a habit.

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
This time of year I check/ top up washer fluid as part of the weekly check, some weeks very little used, others a kettle full!, if the light comes on when away from home or access to water, it’s too late.
My other car has headlight washers so uses quite a lot and checking stuff becomes a habit.
This is unfortunately a matter of habit. In the previous car, I had an indicator and I always carried the washer fluid in the trunk. I was adding fluid when the car informed me about it. Now I know everything

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for response

Most if not all VW’s also don’t have a low washer fluid warning lamp, unless the car has headlamp washers.

As @Martin J has said, it’s good practice to check and, if necessary, top up the washer fluid reservoir weekly at this time of year, along with other under bonnet fluid checks.

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
Most if not all VW’s also don’t have a low washer fluid warning lamp, unless the car has headlamp washers.

As @Martin J has said, it’s good practice to check and, if necessary, top up the washer fluid reservoir weekly at this time of year, along with other under bonnet fluid checks.
I will not agree with that. My mom has 2018 Karoq, dad 2010 Octavia my brother 2018 Octavia and they all have low washer fluid warning lamp. My previous car was 2003 Ford Mondeo so for me it is a big surprise that a car produced in 2021, packed with all these inteligent systems and additional winter pack does not have low washer fluid indicator

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I will not agree with that. My mom has 2018 Karoq, dad 2010 Octavia my brother 2018 Octavia and they all have low washer fluid warning lamp. My previous car was 2003 Ford Mondeo so for me it is a big surprise that a car produced in 2021, packed with all these inteligent systems and additional winter pack does not have low washer fluid indicator
My 2013 Audi A3 had low washer alert
My 2018 Leon however did not

Penny pinching

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I will not agree with that. My mom has 2018 Karoq, dad 2010 Octavia my brother 2018 Octavia and they all have low washer fluid warning lamp.
My comment referred to VW, not Skoda. The Karoq and Octavia are Skoda models; part of VAG, but not specific VW models.

My 2013 Audi A3 had low washer alert
My 2018 Leon however did not

Penny pinching
Agree, along with other penny pinching cost cutting measures made compared with previous generation models.

An examples of VW penny pinching - on the current model Golf compared to the previous generation car, VW have removed the gas bonnet strut, the sliding cover on the centre console cup holders, the felt lining from the glove box, the overhead sunglasses storage compartment and the lidded storage cubby in the lower dash by the driver’s knee (there are probably other penny pinching deletions too). Cost savings per car won’t be significant but the overall savings will be, when the total number of cars built during the model‘s lifecycle are taken into account.

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
The worst thing is that the importer decides what the configuration will look like. And there is no option to pay extra to have something that is offered in a neighboring country. Washer fluid level sensor eg or wireless CarPlay.

yaffa0

Jan 26, 2017
I have to add here that my previous MK3.5 Leon (ST FR 1.4 TSI ACT, 2017) had washer fluid level indicator on the dash and it also had washer jets for head lamps. Also the washer fluid was heated (heated nozzles). Now this current Mk4 model (ST PHEV 1.4 TSI) does not have any of those: I don't have head lamp washer jets, no heated nozzles and no fluid level indicator. My car is fully specced up with DCC, XL package etc. and it has all the winter gear like heated seats and something which SEAT calls "package for cold countries". We do need here the washer fluid system a lot. The weather is really bad for 5-6 months. So, while the mk4 is overall a better car and many things have gone forward, this washer fluid functionality is a step backwards.

My 2008 Skoda Octavia had washer fluid level indicator and both the previous SEAT LEONs had that too (mk3, 2014 and mk3.5 2017). So, the conclusion is that VAG is just cheap. It affects also the new Golf (mk8). It does not have that indicator, because it does not have head lamp washer jets either. They are just saving money and removing stuff where they can.

Reactions: M4rin3s
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.