New owner in Glasgow - 2019 Cupra ST Lux

May 6, 2023
hi, just sold my Mineral Grey 3 series 330d x-drive touring (BMW Performance Kit ECU chip to 300BHP, 60 was around 4.9), loved the car but my 25k miles a year has dropped to about 5k due to Covid/WFH. I'd done 140k miles in it and it was just hitting that point where I was going to have to spend money (eg adaptive shocks 400 quid a corner).

Always had my eye on the Leon ST, my wife has a Leon FR and it's a nice place to be, reminds me of my old Mk V Golf GTI. So I bought a Mystery Blue Cupra ST Lux, 2019 so digital cockpit and 7 speed. Approved Used 2 year warranty, 30k miles, has one light scratch that will polish out but otherwise in really nice condition. I'm not totally sold on the colour, I think I prefer Glacier Silver, however a polish and ceramic should do a lot for it.

First impressions are that the cabin is nice, really appreciate the electric driver's seat (BMW manual seat adjustment is awful). The digital cockpit and infotainment is good, the sat nav is worse (I was expecting that, the BMW sat nav is good, particularly if you subscribe to real time traffic which colours sections of the road according to traffic density, similar to Google maps). Hate using a touchscreen but it is what it is. I appreciate all the extras you get as standard with SEAT such as the DCC, one of the reasons I went this route rather than VW. The BMW felt like a much bigger car although the boot space is about the same, I think it's down to bonnet length.

Driving is obviously very different, I haven't been in petrol for quite a while. The wave of torque from the big diesel was amazing and I do miss that, sort of hurtles you to the horizon without fuss, it's taking a while to get used to winding the petrol engine up by comparison. The handling reminds me of everything good about my old Golf and is more involving than the Beemer and as I start to use it more I think that is what will win me over.

Reactions: jcbmally

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Welcome to SCN, glad to here you are enjoying your Cupra, as coming from a BMW I thought you would be losing a lot. I have had many Cupra's over the years and my only complaint about the new MK4 Leon is that infotainment set up of nearly all controls thru the menu system, instead of some good old fashioned buttons, but getting used to it now.

May 6, 2023
Thanks, it's definitely quite different, the BMW estates feel very solid whereas the Leon feels like a hatch with a big boot. The 3 litre diesels combined with the 8 speed auto are an amazing combination, I used to go hammering back and forth to Edinburgh over M80/M9 every day never thinking about economy and rarely got less than 40mpg. However the dampers were going on all 4 corners, particularly the rear where it would lose traction and shimmy alarmingly over rough road, I was starting to lose confidence in it. There is also no service schedule for the gearbox (compared to ZF's own recommendation of 60k) so that was starting to play on my mind too.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Thanks, it's definitely quite different, the BMW estates feel very solid whereas the Leon feels like a hatch with a big boot. The 3 litre diesels combined with the 8 speed auto are an amazing combination, I used to go hammering back and forth to Edinburgh over M80/M9 every day never thinking about economy and rarely got less than 40mpg. However the dampers were going on all 4 corners, particularly the rear where it would lose traction and shimmy alarmingly over rough road, I was starting to lose confidence in it. There is also no service schedule for the gearbox (compared to ZF's own recommendation of 60k) so that was starting to play on my mind too.
Looks like it was time to let it go then, I had my SEAT Leon Cupra 280 for near 8 years with only needing wipers and tyres, when I decided to change. The trade in value was too good to not.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
hi, just sold my Mineral Grey 3 series 330d x-drive touring (BMW Performance Kit ECU chip to 300BHP, 60 was around 4.9), loved the car but my 25k miles a year has dropped to about 5k due to Covid/WFH. I'd done 140k miles in it and it was just hitting that point where I was going to have to spend money (eg adaptive shocks 400 quid a corner).

Always had my eye on the Leon ST, my wife has a Leon FR and it's a nice place to be, reminds me of my old Mk V Golf GTI. So I bought a Mystery Blue Cupra ST Lux, 2019 so digital cockpit and 7 speed. Approved Used 2 year warranty, 30k miles, has one light scratch that will polish out but otherwise in really nice condition. I'm not totally sold on the colour, I think I prefer Glacier Silver, however a polish and ceramic should do a lot for it.

First impressions are that the cabin is nice, really appreciate the electric driver's seat (BMW manual seat adjustment is awful). The digital cockpit and infotainment is good, the sat nav is worse (I was expecting that, the BMW sat nav is good, particularly if you subscribe to real time traffic which colours sections of the road according to traffic density, similar to Google maps). Hate using a touchscreen but it is what it is. I appreciate all the extras you get as standard with SEAT such as the DCC, one of the reasons I went this route rather than VW. The BMW felt like a much bigger car although the boot space is about the same, I think it's down to bonnet length.

Driving is obviously very different, I haven't been in petrol for quite a while. The wave of torque from the big diesel was amazing and I do miss that, sort of hurtles you to the horizon without fuss, it's taking a while to get used to winding the petrol engine up by comparison. The handling reminds me of everything good about my old Golf and is more involving than the Beemer and as I start to use it more I think that is what will win me over.
Welcome to the forum, ST Lux is a good all round car, bit of a sleeper IMO.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.