Newbie with a few questions

Feb 25, 2023
Hi all,

I have very recently bought a 2017 Leon FR 1.4TSI. I bought it from a SEAT dealership and it’s currently booked in to have a few things looked at but was wondering if people could let me know if it is anything major as I am still within my days to return the vehicle?

- The car has a DSG gearbox and I have noticed when accelerating off from a stand still it sometimes has a slight judder, is this something I need to get used to?
- I was told by the dealership the gearbox is sealed for life as it is a dry gearbox in my car, can anyone confirm if this is true?
- The car has an interior rattle coming from the back, it happens on bumpy roads and sounds like the parcel shelf but everything seems perfect when I checked it. Would appreciate any views?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your replies!

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Hi all,

I have very recently bought a 2017 Leon FR 1.4TSI. I bought it from a SEAT dealership and it’s currently booked in to have a few things looked at but was wondering if people could let me know if it is anything major as I am still within my days to return the vehicle?

- The car has a DSG gearbox and I have noticed when accelerating off from a stand still it sometimes has a slight judder, is this something I need to get used to?
- I was told by the dealership the gearbox is sealed for life as it is a dry gearbox in my car, can anyone confirm if this is true?
- The car has an interior rattle coming from the back, it happens on bumpy roads and sounds like the parcel shelf but everything seems perfect when I checked it. Would appreciate any views?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your replies!

The gearbox thing doesn't sound normal to me.

With the rattle I would advise driving the car with the parcel shelf removed and see if it disappears.

If in doubt exercise caution. If you keep the car have a look for a good warranty provider just in case.

Reactions: Fchana786

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
^^ This.
It's a fairly common VW issue; affects some Golfs & Octavias too.
Agree. Had this on a mk6 VW Golf GTD. Wrapping a piece of electrical insulation tape around the metal loop that the seat backrest latches onto when in the upright position cured it. It’s a very easy fix, and if the tape wears through if the seat backrest is regularly lowered and raised, it can be replaced cheaply and easily 👍.

Feb 25, 2023
Thanks for all your replies! Will try and cure the rattle issue today!!

The car is booked into SEAT later this week to be looked at but I have also noticed a creaking noise when driving over a bumpy road, it sounds like it’s coming from the middle of the car.

How likely is it that SEAT will diagnose and fix these issues?

They also sent me a page from a service bulletin which says my DSG gearbox does not need servicing due it being a dry gearbox but I have no idea if this is actually true?

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for all your replies! Will try and cure the rattle issue today!!

The car is booked into SEAT later this week to be looked at but I have also noticed a creaking noise when driving over a bumpy road, it sounds like it’s coming from the middle of the car.

How likely is it that SEAT will diagnose and fix these issues?

They also sent me a page from a service bulletin which says my DSG gearbox does not need servicing due it being a dry gearbox but I have no idea if this is actually true?
Yes it dry clutch so has no oil. No servicing needed untill clutch packs wear out.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
The smaller engines have dry clutch DSGs, so do not require oil changes.

The rattle is likely to be the rear seat latches as mentioned, electrical or duct tape over the metal hoop stops it.

Leon's do creak, it's the door seals. You can lubricate the seals with something like liquimoli gummi pledge, but it wears off. TBH I just put the radio on and ignore it.

Feb 25, 2023
Thanks all for your help, the rattle has indeed got better after applying some tape to the latches!

Now reading more into dry clutch DSGs and thinking the juddering in first gear may be something to do with the clutch packs wearing out so will mention it to the dealer!

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Thanks all for your help, the rattle has indeed got better after applying some tape to the latches!

Now reading more into dry clutch DSGs and thinking the juddering in first gear may be something to do with the clutch packs wearing out so will mention it to the dealer!
What mileage is on the car ?
I would say juddering in first gear seems to be a vw 1.4 1.5 tsi thing.
You can have gearbox adapted via diagnostics which resets biting points and stuff, that may help. I wouldnt say your clutch packs are worn out unless you had over 100000 miles or something similar

Feb 25, 2023
Thanks, the car has done 40k miles, I’m hoping the dealership can also put my mind at rest and fix some of the issues under the 2 year warranty they gave with the car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members