Owner experiences early Cupra 20vt Vs Cupra R

tomgtturbo

Feb 22, 2023
Hi all, first post here.

Looking at an early Cupra (not facelift) which looks to be very well maintained. Problem is I've always wanted a Cupra R. They do seem ropey for my budget.

I guess my question is, is the early Cupra just as good and has anybody regretted getting that over the Cupra r?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I've had both.
- the R sits lower and feels more solid and planted with less roll.
- the R steering wheel is much nicer to hold
- the R has a quicker steering rack, but it's only a small difference to be honest.
All the other stuff is cosmetic.

A remapped 180 on 212horsepower accelerates quicker from low speeds because the smaller KO3S turbo spools up quicker and feels a bit more frantic than a stock 225 R, which feels a bit smoother generally.

I didn't regret getting the LC at all, but a few years later I was hankering after an R.

Reactions: BadBoy03

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I've had both.
- the R sits lower and feels more solid and planted with less roll.
- the R steering wheel is much nicer to hold
- the R has a quicker steering rack, but it's only a small difference to be honest.
All the other stuff is cosmetic.

A remapped 180 on 212horsepower accelerates quicker from low speeds because the smaller KO3S turbo spools up quicker and feels a bit more frantic than a stock 225 R, which feels a bit smoother generally.

I didn't regret getting the LC at all, but a few years later I was hankering after an R.
I'd agree. Go for the LCR if you can, but the Cupra would satisfy you if you want something cheaper but still gutsy. They are both ace cars, but you'll soon yearn for the LCR once you get a taste for it.
I personally prefer the facelift model, just a bit tidier, but well maintained is definitely not to be ignored. Good luck 🤞

Last edited:

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
as someone has a cupra and retrofitted cupra R handling gear id say get the R if you're set on it. I personally wasnt much bothered about models but the handling difference is quite stark.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
I had a Cupra new in 2003 then an R in 2004. Then in 2017 re bought an R.
The Cupra was still an excellent car, handled well, suspension a bit softer than the R. Mine was the facelift so on 17” 5 spoke alloys. I’m sure the pre facelift one had 16” ( the ones with lots of spokes)
so I imagine the ride will be softer still.
Always got a decent write up back in the day.
I’d say depends what you want, if the R’s in your budget are ropey but you want a bit of a project then maybe look at those. If you want a tidier example with less miles and the cupra’s are in budget then maybe go for one of those.
I saw a 51 reg Cupra a few weeks ago in the orange colour with its original wheels still in and it still looked great.
KGF cars sold a ultra low mileage very early Cupra a while ago. It was up for near 10 grand and sold. So I reckon they’re still going to be sought after cars in the future.

Reactions: Alexis27

tomgtturbo

Feb 22, 2023
Thank you all for your replies.

I am going to look at a Cupra R tomorrow and fingers crossed I come home with it.

I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
How did you get on? Did you buy the R??
Seen one on Auto trader for £13k, way too much. So many bad examples out there. Getting rare as rocking horse excrement lol 😆

tomgtturbo

Feb 22, 2023
How did you get on? Did you buy the R??
Seen one on Auto trader for £13k, way too much. So many bad examples out there. Getting rare as rocking horse excrement lol 😆
Terrible.

But mainly due to owners mis description.

Needed all new tyres, brakes etc. Didn't trust the owner which is the first step for me.

Reactions: Jay20VT
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members