Peeling paint on underside of bumper less than 3k miles

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
A few us with Cupra Leon mk4 are finding the paint on the underside of rear bumper near the wheels is getting damaged and starting to peel see pics, mine is the white one and it's starting 2.5k miles, the grey one is someone else's 10k miles, I was at Cupra dealer today and the manager checked his car and its the same heavy peeling like grey car. Its not obvious unless you check under the car as not visable from standing so most people don't know they have until they look, the fear is the paint will start striping up the bumper. For the hatch back you can't buy rear mup flaps for mk4 at the moment so its hard to protect that area, also to be frank I would expect the paint to be tougher in that area and not peel so quickly. At the moment Cupra / Seat not being helpful so I'm asking people if they can check there mk4 Leons and if they have it report it here.

Thanks

Screenshot_20220217_182711.jpg

Screenshot_20220217_182630_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It looks pretty bad in the second picture 😮. Seat would no doubt say that it’s caused by stone impact damage, so not covered under the paintwork warranty. However, the fact that other owners have also experienced this suggests there may be a problem with the painting process - or more correctly the pre-painting prep stage - for the plastic bumpers in the factory.

Owners could consider applying paint protection film in that area. As it’s an area that’s not seen, a competent DIY-er could probably buy and apply it themselves to save the cost of paying a professional to do it.

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
Yeah I dont need the hassle tbh so might touch up and ppf myself. For some though it may be too late as if not known about / spotted early the damage can end up like first picture. Something defo wrong with the paint in that area imo on mine it so thin you can see the grey underneath also once it's broken it litterally peels away. I looked at my misses 15k mile car not Seat and same kind on under painted rear bumper no mud flaps and it's fine.

Piles

Apr 11, 2022
Hi, new here.
I rang my local seat today where i got the car ("Seat" Leon FR e-hybrid hatchback) about getting mudflaps fitted. They quoted me £290...
They said the flaps were 90 per front/back, then the fitting.
I went online and bought genuine rear ones for £45 and the fronts were £70, i could of got fronts cheaper, but it was from the same shop so it made sense with the delivery. Anyway....
The fitting, can I do this myself I'm not a mechanic I have friends who can dabble I guess, but do I have to goto the dealer for this in your opinions?
I asked the supplier of the mudflaps and they said the following.
"We only sell genuine mud flaps from SEAT UK,
They are pre-drilled and slid in behind the wheel arch liners,
all relevant clips and fittings come included, SEAT recommend 30 mins per pair (front or back) by a trained technician to give you a guide as to fitting time."
So what i'm taking from that is that I undo the 2 visible screws each side, slide thee flap between the lining and the car and screw back?
Can anyone advise or have pics? Also will the flaps come with instructions?
Thanks in advance!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hi, new here.
I rang my local seat today where i got the car ("Seat" Leon FR e-hybrid hatchback) about getting mudflaps fitted. They quoted me £290...
They said the flaps were 90 per front/back, then the fitting.
I went online and bought genuine rear ones for £45 and the fronts were £70, i could of got fronts cheaper, but it was from the same shop so it made sense with the delivery. Anyway....
The fitting, can I do this myself I'm not a mechanic I have friends who can dabble I guess, but do I have to goto the dealer for this in your opinions?
I asked the supplier of the mudflaps and they said the following.
"We only sell genuine mud flaps from SEAT UK,
They are pre-drilled and slid in behind the wheel arch liners,
all relevant clips and fittings come included, SEAT recommend 30 mins per pair (front or back) by a trained technician to give you a guide as to fitting time."
So what i'm taking from that is that I undo the 2 visible screws each side, slide thee flap between the lining and the car and screw back?
Can anyone advise or have pics? Also will the flaps come with instructions?
Thanks in advance!
Yeah can't be much harder than that

You may have to remove the wheel for access or maybe not.

Shouldn't be a hard job

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Piles; I’d be surprised if there aren’t instructions included with the mud flaps. However, if they’re anything like VW instructions for similar accessories, they’re a bit like flat pack furniture assembly instructions; not be very user friendly and often just pictures and diagrams without text.

As @BigJase88 has said, it might be necessary (or easier) if the wheels are removed to gain better access for fitting. If you do remove the wheels, be sure to use the jacking points for your car and don’t rely on the flimsy car jack that’s supplied as part of the spare wheel kit (if your car has a spare wheel).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.