Recommend stone chip repairers?

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Does anyone have any recommendations for a stone chip repair company, preferably a mobile one that will come to you?

My new (to me) 2022 Seat Ibiza FR has a number of (mostly very small) stone chips on the bonnet, most are very shallow, but there's a deeper one on the lip of the bonnet that I'm concerned may be a potential rust spot, unless treated, and may as well get the others addressed at the same time

Years ago I used the company Chipsaway, who did a good job at repairing the bonnet stone chips I had on a VW Polo I had at the time, but was wondering if there are any other companies worth considering?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Another option that worth considering if you’re handy with touching in stone chips would be to repair them yourself. Pretty much the first thing I buy for any new (to me) car is touch up paint as it’s always a matter of when rather than if it’ll be needed.

I’ve used a Chipex repair kit on two previous cars (one darkish grey car and the other, a mid blue car) with pretty good results and the paint colour match was very good. With these kits, if you’re not used to repairing paintwork stone chips then taking your time and practicing on something other than your car to perfect a good technique is time well spent IMHO. It took me a few attempts to get decent results, and I’ve had a reasonable amount of practice at DIY car paint repairs many years ago in my youth when I owned older cars - some of which had more than their fair share of ‘battle scars‘ (lots of hours spent with wet and dry paper, masking tape and paint rattle cans 🤣). I found with the Chipex kit that only using very light pressure with the blending solution (supplied as part of the kit) was key to a good result.

I found the beauty of the Chipex kits I’ve used was that if you weren't happy with the results, you could remove your efforts with the blending solution (supplied as part of the kit) and start again.

There are also lots of ‘how to’ videos on YouTube.

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Thanks, though am really cack-handed at using touch-up kits, I'd probably just make it look worse, think would prefer to use someone with more experience at touch-up jobs. Chipsaway did a good job with my old VW Polo, so may just use them again, although have read that some people prefer Auto Restore, say will also check them out: https://www.autorestore.co.uk/

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members