Replacement Key Fob

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
One of the fobs for the 2018 Leon I have has died. It was working, but only from right next to the car, the battery only lasted a month and now it's not doing anything when a new battery is fitted. What are the best options?

I've been quoted £200 from a local mobile key guy for replacing the fob. Is that a good option? I know the dealer will cost more. Is it possible to buy a new fob and code it yourself? I don't think it is for this year of car but hey, I need to ask ;0)

Thank you.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
One of the fobs for the 2018 Leon I have has died. It was working, but only from right next to the car, the battery only lasted a month and now it's not doing anything when a new battery is fitted. What are the best options?

I've been quoted £200 from a local mobile key guy for replacing the fob. Is that a good option? I know the dealer will cost more. Is it possible to buy a new fob and code it yourself? I don't think it is for this year of car but hey, I need to ask ;0)

Thank you.
I tried a quite a few local mobile guys near me for my 2021, none of them would touch it with a barge pole. I ended up having to pay the best part of 400 quid to my local dealer for a new key. 200 quid sounds like a good deal.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I tried a quite a few local mobile guys near me for my 2021, none of them would touch it with a barge pole. I ended up having to pay the best part of 400 quid to my local dealer for a new key. 200 quid sounds like a good deal.
Yeah, I've phoned three key places. Two said it was dealer only. The third is a mobile guy who cut a key shaft for this same key. He said he can do it for £200. The car is up for sale anyway so I think I'll just knock money off and let the next owner deal with it. I'll see.

And yes, local dealer wanted over £400. For a key! Robbing scoundrels,.

Reactions: Alex667
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.