Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Ibiza, the brand’s most iconic model, with a limited edition called “Anniversary”. Named after the island of Ibiza, it was a turning point for the company’s success and has sold over six million units over five generations since 1984.

The first-generation SEAT Ibiza was the first vehicle developed by the brand without the assistance of a technological partner, drawing on internal expertise and that of partners in Giorgetto Giugiaro for the exterior design, Karmann for the interior design and Porsche for the powertrain.

Since its introduction in 1984, it became a benchmark in the market while also paving the way for SEAT’s success as it worked to grow its...

Continue reading...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
They were 'thee' hot hatchbacks to own in their day.
Sadly the alternatives in my youth were: Nova's, Metro's & Fiesta's 😣
I owned one of those alternatives - a Vauxhall Nova GTE - and it was a great little car; rock hard suspension - a bit like sitting on a skateboard 🤣 - and it’s 1.6 litre non-turbo engine putting out a massive 100 bhp which was pretty much the norm for small hot hatches in the day. It felt fast at the time (0-60 time was around 9 seconds), but with many 1.0 hatches these days putting out 100 bhp or more, I doubt it would feel fast now.

Here it is in all of its glory;
IMG_0649.jpeg

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I owned one of those alternatives - a Vauxhall Nova GTE - and it was a great little car; rock hard suspension - a bit like sitting on a skateboard 🤣 - and it’s 1.6 litre non-turbo engine putting out a massive 100 bhp which was pretty much the norm for small hot hatches in the day. It felt fast at the time (0-60 time was around 9 seconds), but with many 1.0 hatches these days putting out 100 bhp or more, I doubt it would feel fast now.

Here it is in all of its glory;
View attachment 40323
I love it... it's a real beaut. Those wheels are something special 😉
I fondly look back on those early driving days, so much fun in those little hatchbacks & more freedom on the roads. The cars were basic but did their job well, you just needed a welder, local scrappy, & plenty of filler.
Good times indeed. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: jcbmally and SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I love it... it's a real beaut. Those wheels are something special 😉
I fondly look back on those early driving days, so much fun in those little hatchbacks & more freedom on the roads. The cars were basic but did their job well, you just had to be friendly with a welder & a local scrappy.
Good times indeed. 👍
Thanks. I have very fond memories of it.

It was quite basic - it had manual window winders. It did have the luxury of central locking (but not remote) but only on the doors - not the tailgate, and only a single gas strut on one side of the tailgate. No air con in small hatches in those days, but it did have a sunroof.

I bought it at 8 months old in 1990 and kept it for three years. Cheap and fun to own and run and utterly reliable. Not too many left now; no doubt most of them became victims of the tin worm.

Wish I’d had the space to have kept it so I could use it at weekends during the summer………….

Reactions: BadBoy03

GORDYDJ

Mar 9, 2024
Thanks. I have very fond memories of it.

It was quite basic - it had manual window winders. It did have the luxury of central locking (but not remote) but only on the doors - not the tailgate, and only a single gas strut on one side of the tailgate. No air con in small hatches in those days, but it did have a sunroof.
And any labour was all spent on fixing/replacing broken parts. Not removing half the car to get at them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise