seat leon fr 2017 facelift backup camera install

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
hi there, i just bought a seat leon 2017 fr facelift version with the 8 inch headunit, i want to put a backup camera in it as the review visibility is quite bad in this car but seat says that wont place one, has anyone did the same thing? any beneficts of going with the oem camera like pre wired cables and better compatibility with the original headunit? or some retrofit kits ? i previous had a seat ibiza 1.2 tsi 6j fr an aliexpress camera did the job has it his headunit was also a chinese android unit

redone

Nov 28, 2023
There are some threads here that advise on camera install for different solutions. You can get a highline oem camera that will give you the guide lines that move with the steering wheel. It works with parkpilot (overlays) etc. I have one waiting to be done. Wiring needs to be done for whichever solution and not a huge financial difference. Will make the car more desirable when the time comes to sell. Ali has you covered whatever you choose. I believe cheap cam also connects. The oem cam position is in the top of the rear bumper and would need a hole cut. Some people fit the number plate light type cams. There may be a slight mismatch because of position. Oem cams need to be calibrated correctly for similar reason.

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
There are some threads here that advise on camera install for different solutions. You can get a highline oem camera that will give you the guide lines that move with the steering wheel. It works with parkpilot (overlays) etc. I have one waiting to be done. Wiring needs to be done for whichever solution and not a huge financial difference. Will make the car more desirable when the time comes to sell. Ali has you covered whatever you choose. I believe cheap cam also connects. The oem cam position is in the top of the rear bumper and would need a hole cut. Some people fit the number plate light type cams. There may be a slight mismatch because of position. Oem cams need to be calibrated correctly for similar reason.
thanks! were so you get that camera? is not this right? https://www.seataccesoriescatalogue.net/en/product/product/43/2094/4388

Avoid that like the plague. It'll die of moisture ingress within 18 months. It's a cheap Chinese camera with an unnecessary interface box, that seat have slapped their label on

The highline cameras are pointless. They can't be calibrated without using false values which leads to inaccurate guide lines. If you don't calibrate them, the guidelines are still inaccurate. The connectors aren't designed to be exposed to the elements (the rear of the bumper gets wetter than you'd think).

Fit a genuine lowline camera

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
Avoid that like the plague. It'll die of moisture ingress within 18 months. It's a cheap Chinese camera with an unnecessary interface box, that seat have slapped their label on

The highline cameras are pointless. They can't be calibrated without using false values which leads to inaccurate guide lines. If you don't calibrate them, the guidelines are still inaccurate. The connectors aren't designed to be exposed to the elements (the rear of the bumper gets wetter than you'd think).

Fit a genuine lowline camera
Oh alright, so the best way is to buy like an used oem camera? I know you guys do camera retrofit but as i am from Portugal i cant do there, what câmera would recomend then? And its needed the obdeleven to activate the camera in the mib 2 right?

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
1000047767.png
this is a genuine camera but i have no ideia how to wire it i doubt that the car already has cables coming from the radio to the rear bumper

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
Oh thanks i found the wire by it self for about 50 euros, a pre owned camera for 75! Way cheaper than the (oem plug and play) kit they claimed, is that it? then i just need to activate it with obd11 ?

Oh thanks i found the wire by it self for about 50 euros, a pre owned camera for 75! Way cheaper than the (oem plug and play) kit they claimed, is that it? then i just need to activate it with obd11 ?

Correct, easy as that

Attachments

• Reversing camera (Rear Assist), From May 2017.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Reversing Camera.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 70

Luckyluck

Jan 10, 2024
No, the wiring isn't present. It's a connection to the fusebox, ground and a reverse feed. Then just the video to the infotainment system

It's easy to make yourself, or you could use something like this https://www.carsystems.eu/new-seat-...-kit-with-guidance-lines-retrofit,id2133.html
I've bought and fitted this camera a few weeks back. I can confirm it's good value for the money, easy installation - just connect to ground, reverse light, +12V and 2x video wires. (+12V and video connect to quad lock (radio) connector. Wiring harness has waterproof connector, everything is well made. I didn't choose AliExpress one because connectors were not waterproof, so I didn't want to risk it that camera will stop working after a while. So the link is a reliable source with excellent support if needed 😉

Reactions: lPrometheuss

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
I've bought and fitted this camera a few weeks back. I can confirm it's good value for the money, easy installation - just connect to ground, reverse light, +12V and 2x video wires. (+12V and video connect to quad lock (radio) connector. Wiring harness has waterproof connector, everything is well made. I didn't choose AliExpress one because connectors were not waterproof, so I didn't want to risk it that camera will stop working after a while. So the link is a reliable source with excellent support if needed 😉
to enable the camera you used obdeleven? and is there a diference from the obdeleven vag and next gen to enable the rear camera?

thanks for the replys!!

Luckyluck

Jan 10, 2024
to enable the camera you used obdeleven? and is there a diference from the obdeleven vag and next gen to enable the rear camera?

thanks for the replys!!
I've used VCDS, I don't have obdeleven so can't say what's the difference..I always used VCDS even with my previous car (Passat B7). Never felt a need to buy/use obdeleven

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I don't know why SEAT didn't put the reverse camera in the boot latch like VW did on the Golf's. Probably cost, but it's a perfect design to keep it clean over the Winter months.

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
I don't know why SEAT didn't put the reverse camera in the boot latch like VW did on the Golf's. Probably cost, but it's a perfect design to keep it clean over the Winter months.
Probably cost and less moving parts seat is a much smaller brand only sold on EU were the winter is less harsh and they are meant to be cheaper vw's anyway