SEAT will stop making cars and becoming Cupra

Dec 16, 2023
Hi guys, I'm in the midst of buying a nearly new (<5k miles) SEAT Ateca Xperience Lux automatic 1.5 eco tsi 23 plate from an approved used SEAT dealership. Quite happy with the price paying approx 26k and they are giving me £3k for my 10 year old vauxhall. I'm happy with the spec of the car and any higher spec (historically) would be the 300hp Cupra types (as they were exclusively high performance cars). But I've just realised that SEAT will cease to exist in the next few years and Cupra will effectively become SEAT to a large extent (Cupra will have more basic trims- essentially a SEAT badge change to Cupra).
So what I'm wondering, is it worth pulling out buying my 1.5 eco tsi SEAT and attempting to get a 1.5 eco tsi Cupra for a similar-ish price in like 6 months?
I've currently signed a contract and paid a £200 deposit, but I'm a cash buyer and I've done the deal at distance i.e. internet/phone (so I should have more buyer protection, in theory) and i have not received the car or paid the outstanding amount of £20k+
My two specific questions are:
1) what would you guys do in general, try to get a Cupra version of the 1.5 Ateca for the same price?
2) do i have a leg to stand on to pull out of the deal?

Thanks in advance for any insights. I'm new here and also new to buy a car at this price (hence the wobble!)

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
1) I can't see you getting a Cupra Ateca V1/V2 for a similar price. I haven't looked, mind, so could easily be wrong. Cupras have always demanded a premium over SEAT badges - it is all in the marketing. Cupras have more standard spec but as you've gone for an Xperience Lux, it is packed with stuff as is and you might end up losing spec by going for a base spec Cupra.
2) I'm sure they won't mind if you just want a different vehicle, but if you just want to pull out after signing some paperwork, I'd say it is loss of deposit (£200) unless stated otherwise in the paperwork.

Nothing wrong with going for a SEAT Ateca, there's plenty enough of them around as they are great practical cars.

Dec 16, 2023
1) I can't see you getting a Cupra Ateca V1/V2 for a similar price. I haven't looked, mind, so could easily be wrong. Cupras have always demanded a premium over SEAT badges - it is all in the marketing. Cupras have more standard spec but as you've gone for an Xperience Lux, it is packed with stuff as is and you might end up losing spec by going for a base spec Cupra.
2) I'm sure they won't mind if you just want a different vehicle, but if you just want to pull out after signing some paperwork, I'd say it is loss of deposit (£200) unless stated otherwise in the paperwork.

Nothing wrong with going for a SEAT Ateca, there's plenty enough of them around as they are great practical cars.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I'd lose the deposit, which is fine if i pulled out after giving the indications to buy.

Regarding 2), you would be correct before the apparent new Cupra/SEAT strategy, as Cupra used to only stand for the highest and fastest car trims. But now there is a 1.5L Cupra Ateca in V1/V2 trims which obviously in times past such a Cupra wouldn't exist as a 2L SEAT Ateca is faster.
The 1.5L Cupra Ateca has the same engine as the Seat Ateca and compared to the Lux And the 1.5 Cupra Ateca V2 which is basically a SEAT Ateca Lux but with Cupra styling (badge and different bumpers) bucket seats and a heated steering wheel, but lacks automatic cruise control (see link provided and picture attached of steering wheel on the V2 trim- no ACC). The V1 has even less features.

My prediction is that next year you could pick up a V2 Cupra Ateca next year for about 25k nearly new because it will more or less be the SEAT Ateca Lux of present. I was considering holding out for that possible eventuality, but after doing a bit of research and just finding out that the 1.5L V2 trim doesn't have ACC, it's a lesser trim than the Lux in the 1.5L engine.

The problem is a lot of people may think they are getting a better trim than they really are.

Cheers
1000026779.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members