Stuck with low charging rate.

Electricmike

Dec 11, 2022
Hi All.

I have had my 77 kWh Born since last December, generally happy with the car but frustrated with my inability to get any sensible answers from Cupra, on any questions. 😞

I normally charge the car at home using an Ohme wall charger. I usually just charge to 70 or 80%, and have it set to slow charge, as I believe this is best for the battery. However, recently I decided to switch off the slow charging as I wanted the top up to finish quicker. This used to work but now the charge continues to be at the slow rate and I can find no way to get it to charge faster. Can you help please?

So, with the slow charging switched on, the app shows the charging adding about 7 miles per hour. When I previously allowed the car to charge at the faster rate I think it showed charging adding around 16 miles per hour or possibly more.

I have checked that the app does not seem to be setting slow charging, ditto the car, and I have even reset the Ohme charger. But still the car charges slowly.

No one at the garage is prepared to speak to me on the phone so I have had to book the car in (in just over a month!). Hopefully then they will talk to me. I gather there is a recall on the car (from May I think they said). I believe that is a software update. That may fix the issue but the garage were not able to tell me what it covers.

Have any of you had a similar problem with slow charging? If so, did you find a fix?

Thanks for your time.

Electricmike

Electricmike

Dec 11, 2022
Ooops!

2 minutes after posting I was looking at something else on the car and appear to have found the solution. Car now charging at home on the Ohme charger at 32 miles per hour. 😀

I had been running all my tests on immediate charging. I went to change to target end time for a "charge by" session and found a reduced charging rate option hidden away below the time settings. It appears that this not only applies to the charge by sessions but also the immediate charging.

So I think/hope that my problem is now solved. Hopefully this post may also help someone else. And thanks to the issue I have found out about the May recall. Anyone know what it is about?

Electricmike

Reactions: Copar
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.