TDI Replacement Boost Pipe Options...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just got back from the garage and they're saying that pretty much all the boost pipes are on their way out.

They've already installed an OEM pipe on the transmission side of the intercooler, which has cost me close to £200, and for another £100 I'll only have the other side done. That'll be £300 all in for what's still standard pipework.

Looking around, I can get all kinds of different setups, from those two pipes from Creations for about £130, to the three boost pipes, including the pancake pipe to turbo, that the garage also says is weak, from Forge for £200.

Creations also do a full hard pipe kit, including all those hoses, for what looks like £270.

What kind of experience have people had with any of these or these companies? I'm not chasing big power or anything - I just want my pipes to stay airtight - but a bit of a performance gain would be nice.

I've read reviews that suggest the Creations pipes aren't especially big, but I'm sure I've also read people saying that some of the other kits haven't fitted as well as they should.

If you've got petrol, feel free to comment too - you'll know how well the pipes work, fit and last even if you haven't got a smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Pay for OEM. Fit perfect every time, no drama and you’ll never look back. Unless you’re looking for more drama??? :)
That’s my opinion.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Pay for OEM. Fit perfect every time, no drama and you’ll never look back. Unless you’re looking for more drama??? :)
That’s my opinion.

I should have said - OEM is definitely something I'm considering too - given that would mean only changing one pipe as opposed to both intercooler pipes.

In the end, as much as people say their terrible and leak, mine lasted sixteen years before it really got bad...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Darkside Developments full kit. I’ll be fitting one during the xmas break

Oof... £500... Right now I'm not sure my car is worth that much. What's the advantage of the hard pipe kit anyway?

So I know I'm looking at the right parts, if anyone can tell me the parts number for the intercooler to pancake pipe, that'd be super helpful.

I came across a thread on UKMKIVs yesterday where [mention]Thai-wronghorse [/mention] was looking for parts numbers too, but the parts are listed as nearside and offside and obviously if this is based on a left hand drive car I'll end up with the wrong part...

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
No crap clips to worry about (I'm looking you intercooler connections) just pretty much fit and forget the lot. At least that's what they sell ut as

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
f7435356a3b9920bb1b29da27fb0f7d5.jpg

Some post arrived yesterday...

While it would have been nice to spend some money, the thing in the back of my mind was the fact I'd already spent nearly £200 getting work done at the garage. If I hadn't done that, I'd have probably hard piped the whole lot. That and the fact being self-employed I might look at that £500 hard pipe setup in a few months' time and really wish I still had the cash.

Couldn't find anything I could see was OEM and so went down the Febi route and got the intercooler to pancake pipe. A few pennies over £30 and I'll fit it when I do my shocks next weekend.

A new fuel filter, new fuel hoses and an injector clean, along with the boost pipe, and I might be able to relax while I'm driving again.

Reactions: MoToJoJo and Rich.T
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.