Towbar Questions

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
51A994CB-1495-4F77-90E2-14C745709B5F.jpeg
7DAD95FF-C30B-4897-B498-0D37BA1B67FB.jpeg
Hi,

Not been here in a long time but I’m in need of advice please.

Yesterday my good ol’ trusted Chrysler Voyager decided to set fire to itself while I was driving home from work, it’s been a great and faithful workhorse for the last 16 years & 160,000miles but it’s time is up, it’s repair costs now grossly outweigh its value.

So when I got home, wife and I popped across to our local Seat dealer and have bought this ‘16 Leon ST TDi FR Technology (It’s the 2.0 manual 186bhp version) to add to our current fleet of ‘07 Ibiza FR & our sons ‘04 Arosa

We collect it on Friday & I can’t wait

Anyhoo

My son and I are keen mountain bikers which is where the ol’ Chrysler was so handy, as for the last 6 years it’s basically been used as a van to cart us, our kit & muddy mountain bikes all around the UK Europe.

This ST is obviously a lot smaller and is far too nice to be putting dirty bikes in it and I know that using roof bars to transport bikes kills the fuel consumption (which is an issue when we regularly drive from Hastings to Wales and twice a year head to the French Alps with our bikes)

Sooooo I’m thinking of getting a towbar fitted to it to put the bikes on the back (We regularly transport 3-4 bikes at a time)

I've never had a towbar before so am learning all about it and have found a swan neck towbar and fitting at a price I can stomach from Towbar Express

But...

In the description it states “Unlikely to trigger parking sensors”

That phrase concerns me as I don’t want to get a bar fitted that ‘might’ trigger the sensors.

Does anyone here with an ST have experience with swan neck towbars (specifically from Towbar Express) and their parking sensors?

Will it bugger up my sensors? Or will it be fine?

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, i have a Witter detachable on my ST to carry my bikes on a Thule cycle carrier which is ace, especially after a muddy day in Dalby Forest. I wired in a Bypass Relay as i only use the car for this and a tip run trailer so it's on a 7 pin socket. Yes, the reverse sensors will alarm when you select reverse as it senses the carrier and the bikes, so you just have to remember to look where you are reversing! Alternatively you can have a vehicle specific wiring loom fitted but is more costly. I only made a cut out on the horizontal part of the bumper and also used a swivel down socket plate so when the detachable bit is not fitted the car looks completely standard from the rear.

Reactions: jonboy1066

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Thanks, yeah I’ve been looking at detachable ones as that wouldn’t be there to set off a sensor at all.

But they are pricey. I’m looking at the non detachable swan neck and wondering if they’ll interact with the sensors when the rack’s not fitted.

Still need to get to Dalby it looks good. I ride mostly is the South East on Surrey Hills & Bedgebury and my long trips tend to be for downhill thrills at Revolution, Antur Stiniog, Bike Park Wales etc with occasional trips across to Morzine.

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Great! Thanks... do you have a pic of the rear end of yours so I can get an idea of how it looks please?

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a Leon ST 184 TDI and am also a mountain biker.
With the rear seats down and a 2m X 2m tarpaulin laid in the back, the car carries 2 bikes with the front wheels off with ease and stays clean.
Thule roof bars and carriers are also top quality kit, and a lot cheaper than a towbar.

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Thanks mate, yeah I’ve had two Enduro bikes (Wheels off) in my Ibiza for day trips or out for a quick ride.

The issue comes when we go to Wales & the Alps, generally we’ll have at least 3 mountain bikes (2 enduro & 1 downhill) and possibly a BMX and a gravel bike to transport as well as all our stuff & spares, food, tools & clothes for a week or a fortnight.

That means keeping the bikes in the car becomes unrealistic on the big trips which can be 5 or 6 times a year.

NeilP72

Jun 21, 2019
Hi
I went through similar queries back in the summer when I got my Leon ST, for the same purpose.
This post might help you
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ns-leon-st-fr-sport-2018.453702/#post-4863891

Somewhere in there towards the end few posts is the part number for the fixed Swan Neck I now have. It is from Tow Trust, who were really helpful when I called them.

No issues with parking sensors triggering, they are way higher than the top of the bar.
Also, for my rear bumper, no cuts needed to fit this one.

I can't remember who installed it, but was all done and dusted including towbar and correct wiring loom to hook it into the car's electrics, etc for about £450. I can try and find out if needed, but Tow Trust might be worth a call.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Hi
I went through similar queries back in the summer when I got my Leon ST, for the same purpose.
This post might help you
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ns-leon-st-fr-sport-2018.453702/#post-4863891

Somewhere in there towards the end few posts is the part number for the fixed Swan Neck I now have. It is from Tow Trust, who were really helpful when I called them.

No issues with parking sensors triggering, they are way higher than the top of the bar.
Also, for my rear bumper, no cuts needed to fit this one.

I can't remember who installed it, but was all done and dusted including towbar and correct wiring loom to hook it into the car's electrics, etc for about £450. I can try and find out if needed, but Tow Trust might be worth a call.

Any pics of your install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Some images of my install, first image is how it looks from the rear without the detachable bit fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    826.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 142

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Great! Thanks all!

I’ve looked around and have found a local guy who was a Seat mechanic and now has his own business. He’s come highly recommended by the salesman where I’ve bought the car and obviously knows his way around a Seat

He’s quoted me £450 for a removable Witter bar fitted with electrics etc.

So I’m gonna go for that!

He's £60 more than the Towbar Express quote but at least I know Witter stuff is good & my money is going to a local & knowledgable mechanic not a large national group that I may never get hold of if there’s a problem so I’m happy to pay the extra bit for piece of mind.

Reactions: Rooster

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I have a detachable Swan Neck Tow Bar on my Leon SC.
When i put my Thule bike rack on, plug it in. The car goes in to trailer mode (can't put the car in eco, plus additional indicator lights on the dash letting you know your bike rack indicators are flashing too).
The rack does not activate the parking sensors whilst driving, but when reversing, they are obviously useless and need to be muted when reversing with the bike rack on.

Besides that there are no issues with mine.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I have a Leon ST and it takes two mountain bikes and all the kit in the back no problem. I use a foil-backed tartan rug to protect the car and a ratchet strap to hold the bikes down. Works great and you don't have to modify your driving.

I also use roof carriers if I need to cart three bikes. I haven't noticed a big hit on economy and I keep a tight record. To be honest, tow bar would be my least favorite option.

If you do go that route, the Leon uses parking sensors which can be programed to ignore tow bars and bike racks while still functioning.

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, when I travel long distances I take 3 - 4 bikes & enough kit for 2 weeks for me n my son so in the back is not an option for the bikes.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yeah, when I travel long distances I take 3 - 4 bikes & enough kit for 2 weeks for me n my son so in the back is not an option for the bikes.

Got it. You'd even struggle to get four bikes on the roof. Three is comfortable and four would fit but you might have to turn the bars.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.