Tyre pressure sensor system actually works pretty well

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
The Formentor doesn't come with a TPMS for actual readouts of pressure, but instead i guess it uses the ABS or suspension to gauge if the tyre pressure is off.

The other day after going through roadwork I found a screw in the tyre, wen't to a tyre shop immediately and brought my little portable Ryobi electric pump. When arriving at the shop it gave me the "Rear left tyre pressure low" warning. It had only dropped from around 2.6 bar to 2.1 so I was pretty happy with this. Couldn't see or feel anything myself.

Just make sure you go to the infotainment screen when you can tell the system to accept current tyre pressure as standard (after you check the tyre pressure manually, of course).

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Pumping up the tyres seems to be the only maintenance I have had to do. Had to do it at least twice in the past year. Pressure sticker is on the passenger door which threw me a curve ball..

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Yep, worked really well for me too on the Formentor when i had a slow puncture.
I previously had a 2018 BMW X1 and a 2004 BMW Z4 at the same time. The X1 had TPMS and the Z4 didn't, the latter relied on the ABS sensors like I assume the Formentor does. Both systems worked well but with the Z4 you needed to drive along a straight road for a few metres before pressing the calibrate button. It seems this is not required in the Formentor so I guess there's a bit more to it than just the ABS sensors.

Reactions: Ninjakebab

Cuprashire

May 20, 2022
Yeah, the Tormentor does seem to be a screw magnet as I found to my cost only 1100 miles in. I wanted the original tyre on it and found it at £142 at Asda Tyres, the usual suspects were giving me crazy delivery times or wearing stripes tops and masks.

The TPMS did go off last week on the other rear tyre, however just seems to be a false alarm, checked pressures (36 is a lot higher than I've driven before) and reset them, nothing so far.